Airplane Acoustics

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Airplane Acoustics

Postby SinCos » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:27 am

Hi everyone, I am building a flight simulator (for fun) and am trying to reproduce sound levels in the cockpit. I know what the average sound level throughout the whole plane is and basically I'm trying to interpolate the average sound levels and find how loud the sounds will be in the cockpit. Logically this would be lower than the average since it's pretty much at the furthest point away from the engines. I've got a basic shape of the airplane, but I don't really want to model the structure of it with all the respective materials - nor do I think I have the resources to do this - although I can definitely create a basic structure with approximate materials but I just want to stress, I won't be able to create a 1 for 1 exact model of the airplane. I'm just trying to approximate and anywhere near enough is good enough. I mean I can obviously use the average sound level figure that I've got in the cockpit, but ideally I want to say that I made the effort and actually did some calculations. Just a fun hobby project. I started looking for software that would be able to do this kind of calculation for me, and it definitely needs to be free, but I guess something like Odeon will suffice with its demo version but I just don't want to spend a bunch of time learning a new software only to find that it won't be able to do what I'm trying to do so hoping someone will be able to put me on the right path.
SinCos

Return to Discussion