Paul's STUDIO BUILD DIARY

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Postby Scott R. Foster » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:45 pm

http://order.harborfreight.com/EasyAsk/ ... esults.jsp

These guys have great prices... but I don't know if they ship to the UK
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby knightfly » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:28 pm

I couldn't get that link to work, but here's one that looks interesting -

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=90891

Harbor has these 1/2 price sales every so often, I've had good luck with their products too - for $100 US (half-price) it might be worth paying shipping (don't think their free freight for orders over $50 applies to overseas, but they DO have an international number on their main page - sure beats $600 for the DeWalt if you don't have use for the saw after... Steve
knightfly

Postby MarkEdmonds » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:55 pm

Unfortunately, the UK mains is 240V not 110V.
MarkEdmonds

Postby knightfly » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:13 pm

Duh, sorry (slaps head) - quite a few of their tools are strappable for 230-240, but I downloaded the manual for that particular one and it's strictly 115 (our mains actually measure around 117-120, both phases double that for home power)

You could get it anyway, and just cut really fast :=) Steve
knightfly

Postby Andy S » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:01 pm

Colleague of Woman here. She has just received a phone call from Paul asking where his keys are. She didn't know so we're appealing to the masses to see if anyone has any ideas? Apparently the Travis Perkins man (Builders Merchant) is outside the front door and Paul's stuck inside!!!
Andy S

Postby Woman » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:13 pm

Woman here! I can categorically say I have not moved the car keys and it was not a ploy to lock Paul in. Would be quite happy if he escaped for a while!! I get the blame daily for moving things a nanometer from where they were carefully placed and I have learnt not to touch. Hope he finds them as I won't be home until much later, although that wouldn't be a bad idea as it will delay the invasion of the rockwall!
Woman

Postby Eric.Desart » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:58 pm

Hello Woman,

Welcome here!!!!
Do we have to be more carefull now choosing our words? :):)

Warm regards
Eric
Eric.Desart

Postby Paul Woodlock » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:17 pm

Eric.Desart wrote:Hello Woman,

Welcome here!!!!
Do we have to be more carefull now choosing our words? :):)

Absolutely not :) :) :)

Warm regards
Eric

Greetings Sir Eric!!! :)
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:23 pm

Tuesday 27th April 2004 Too Early pm

Morning Folks

Keys were found ( although now I can't remember where I found them ) :) :)

Nice Delivery Dude helped me lift the Rockwool and Plywood in the Garage. Akthough I could only grunt in reply to his friendly, but incessent talking.

Nice Woman Duda ( hopefully ) will help me lift the 4 m3 of Rockwool into the house later <snigger>

I ordered my new Crosscut Chop Saw last night, along with a load of studding, nuts, and bolts etc.

The current phase of the studio Build is now officailly known as the "Spend Money as fast as possible Phase!"

And is, thus... PAINFUL!!

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:27 pm

knightfly wrote:Duh, sorry (slaps head) - quite a few of their tools are strappable for 230-240, but I downloaded the manual for that particular one and it's strictly 115 (our mains actually measure around 117-120, both phases double that for home power)

Greetings Steve

In the UK we use a 110V supply on building sites ( for safety ), so 110V tools are not only on sale here but easily useable on a 240V supply with an easily availabel transformer.

UK power is actually officially 230V ( EU integration ), but the tolerences where set to allow 240V to allow the UK to avoid expensive changes

Electricity trivia brought to you by.....

Paul :) :)

p.s.

You could get it anyway, and just cut really fast :=) Steve

hehe - Yeah, for about 30 seconds at least.. :)
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:45 pm

Weds 28h April 2004 6:30pm

Greetings fellow Earthlings!

We're ready to rock again!!

My superdooper Crosscut Chopsaw arrived today!!!

Always a bit of excitement at getting a new power tool - hehe.

Chopsaws!! - Watch those fingers!! about 10 years ago my carpenter friend Jonathan cut three of his fingers OFF with one. VERY NASTY!!

I'm a keybaord player. I NEED my fingers.

I also. took delivery of a load of steel 12mm studding, nuts and bolts, large plate washers, etc

The studding is going to poke through the floating slab around the edges, to bolt the wallplate to the floor. the plan is to weld a large palte washer on the bottom of the stud, bolt it through the formwork with another large plate washer and nut, and have the stud protude 3 " higher than the conrete floor level. I have 30 of these stud assemblies to make ( eek ), so I've enough to keep me busy until the Sylomer arrives.

Woman is also pleased I've bought a crosscut chop saw. We haev a conservatory with 18 sodding windows in it. we bought 18 wooden blinds a few months ago.

They all need cutting down to size. This weekend will be a break from studio building, and I'll be blind fitting instead. :)

I also picked up 5litres of timber water seal today. Although the inside of the garge will be both dry and ventilated, i'm not taking chances, and am water sealing the 18mm plywood formwork for the floor before laying it on the rubber.

I also bought a box of Sugar Soap to clean the concrete, arse burning, subfloor before gluing the Sylomer down.

btw, The Arse is a lot better! ( PHEW! ) copel of days, and it will be completely healed. NEVER....AGAIN!!!!

The immedaite job is to store the 16packs of Rockwool around the house, in places that don't annoy Woman too much. ( although she's pleasently quite calm about it at the moment )

I got out ETF ( acoustic measurement software ) last night and measured my temporary bedroom studio. I then squeezed 4 packs of the rockwool in there, and re-measured the room.

Pretty cool actually. The temporary studio is now pretty flat between 35Hz and about 16kHz. Pretty flat means most of the range is within +/- 3dB, and a couple of bass peaks and troughs between +/- 6dB ( This is with a 1/3octave measurement, resembling human hearing according to the ETF manual )

Also looking at the Impulse repsonse from ETF, I could hardly detect ANY early reflections either. It sounds sweet in here now :)

For a room stuffed full of duvets, sleeping bags, and now 4 unopened packs of rockwool ( 1.2 m3 of it ) in a corner, I'm quite pleased with that. Hopefully the new studio will be EVEN BETTER :)

:)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:17 pm

Thursday 26th April 2004 4:10pm

WOO HOO!!

Greetings folks

Got woke up by a knock on the door. Still monged I looked out the window to see a deilivery van.

Hmm? Wasn't expecting anything. Maybe Woman has ordered a new batch of cleaning equpiment!!

I open the door in my dressing gown, and the bloke says "Hello mate, got a delivery of some plastic stuff for ya".

Even though I was still pretty much asleep, It took about 0.0001 picasecond to compute that 'plastic stuff' could only mean one thing!!!

SYLOMER!!!!!

And sure enough a roll of Sylomer was handed to me!! To the delivery man, this was an insignificant roll of 'plastic'. To me this was surely a thing of beauty!!! hee hee.

In a word - EXCELLENT!!!

The schedule has been brought forward!!! The concrete subfloor has had 3 weeks to cure to date. In a week it will have cured enough to take weight.

This means I can start cutting the rubber, building the formwork, welding up the wallplate studs, etc RIGHT AWAY!!!

Well not quite! We've arranged to go out for beers tonight. Although, sad as it may seem, I'm quite tempted to cancel beer in favour of studio building. However, we need beer. So tonight...Beer wins!! :) :)

cya :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Andy S » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:23 pm

Woman has just informed me that Paul's rubber has arrived, the mind boggles!!!!! Bet she's looking forward to going home though :-)
Andy S

Postby Paul Woodlock » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:28 pm

Thursday 26th April 2004 4:20pm

Beer Lost!

Just spoke to woman on phone. She's feeing a bit knackered and wasn't feeling upto getting wrecked fown the pub, so we decided to stay in and have a take away curry.

Anyway, If I had have gone out, just imagine what I boring geek I would have been.... Talking about my fantastic delivery of Sylomer!!

Right time to get those scruffy workclothes on and make a start. I think I'll start on welding up the wall plate studs first.

I'll be taking even more piccies from now on, as stuff is starting to get interesting.

Don't worry, no more arse shots! [ Pray I don't get a penis injury :) ]

back laters

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:44 pm

Andy S wrote:Woman has just informed me that Paul's rubber has arrived, the mind boggles!!!!! Bet she's looking forward to going home though :-)

hehe - trying to make clothing ( or condoms ) out of this stuff will lead to disappointment! It's an INCH thick!!! :) :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:57 pm

Thursday 26th April 2004 11:45pm

Greetings

"Foul Smells"

No, not my arse ( for a change ), but Timber Water Seal!!!

Fucking Stinks!

I've just finished water sealing 2 sheets of plywood formwork. The words on the tin "Use in a well ventilated area" are NOT kidding.

Only another 7 sheets to go.

Welding was more fun, and less smelly. I've got 30 studs to fix in around the edges of the floating floor to bolt the walls down.

As I mention ( I think ) in a previous post, the plan is to weld a 50mm square large plate washer to the end of the 12mm stud, and bolt it to the formwork.

procedure for doing this.... ( incase anyone wan't to build the same :) )

1] Drill a few 12 mm holes in a scrap piece of timber, to hold the studding while welding

2] Insert studs

3] screw on a bolt leaving just the amount of thread required so the washer is flush with the top of the stud.

4] Attach Welder Earth lead

5] Tack washer to stud in only a couple of places to start with.

6] Remove holdng nut ( to revent it also being welded to stud

7] Check stud is perpendicular to washer ( Bend with Mole Grips is requried )

8] Completely weld top of stud to washer, and grind flat and to clean snots off metal.

9] Then weld a fillet on stud side of washer all the way around. ( easily done by holding welding gun in place and rotating stud with hand.

10 Repeat the above 30 times.

I actually did each process 30 times before moving on. It wastes time switching tasks.

The Sylmomer is still standing up in a roll in the kitchen. where I left it this afternoon. I did peel back a bit of the wrapping, and tried cutting it with a sharp serrated knife. It cut OK, and pretty cleanly. I will also try a jigsaw soon, and see if that works. Thankfully, I've a few mm2 spare, to test cuts on. Whatever method I choose to cut it, I'm sure it will be a long and tedious job. Although anythings paying a fortune to the supplier to cut it for me. - EEK!!

cya

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Scott R. Foster » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:34 pm

Electric turkey knife?

PS: don't tell Mom!
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:01 pm

Hi Paul, et al:

I know this isn't what you're doing in your garage, but I thought it was nifty. Definitely a room in a garage.

http://home.earthlink.net/imagelib/site ... et=tlx_new
Regards
Bob Golds
"The only thing we regret in life is the love we failed to give."
"Be a rapturist -- the backward of a terrorist. Commit random acts of senseless kindness, whenever possible" - Jake Stonebender
Bob

Postby Scott R. Foster » Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:55 pm

Brilliant!

Put those pesky musicians in a box in the garage.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Paul Woodlock » Sat May 01, 2004 2:10 pm

Scott R. Foster wrote:Brilliant!

Put those pesky musicians in a box in the garage.

I'll settle for a box :) :) :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion