Paul's STUDIO BUILD DIARY

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Postby Paul Woodlock » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:53 pm

Weds 24th March 2004 5:43pm

Greetrings All :)

Yesterday I calculated the amount of concrete I need to fill this hole.

not an easy job as the hole isn't a simple rectangular box, having a deeper trench around the edges with sloping sides. Also the rasied bit in the middle isn't exactly square.

Thankfully Autocad came to the rescue. I constructed the 'hole' in 3D, and used Autocad's Enquiry mode to automatically calculate the volume.

Which it turns out is bigger than planned. :Eek: I say Eek, becuase the original volume was about 5.4 cubic metres, while due to some discrepencies in the soil removal, I now actually need 6.4 Cubic metres.

BOLLOCKS!, becuase a standard lorry load of concrete is only 6 cubic metres, and now i'm gonna need TWO lorry loads. Thus increasing the price per m3 of concrete considerably. GRMPPPFFFF!!!!

Oh well it's only money. I suppose I could raise a few pence by selling my body. :)

Today's job, which is about to start, is cutting the Flexcell concrete joint expansion board to fit the edges of the Hole. ( btw - is this called homosote in the USA? Anyone?)

Ideally I need to find a method of securing this board to the sides of the hole ( which is basically plastic sheet that cannot be pierced ). Although I suppose I could just lean it up against the sides, and let the weight of the concrete push it to the the edge during the pour.

The concrete pour is looming closer now, and is getting a bit scary :) Definetely a get it right first time job :)

bye for now

PAul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:24 am

Thurs. 25th March 2004 01:07am

Greetings! :)

I love it when a job is quick and easy, and without too much physical exertion. :):)

Like today!!.

I fixed up the Flexcell expansion board all around the edge of the 'mould' in no time.

very flaky stuff indeed when cut. I used a jigsaw, and now the garage floor is full of brown snow. In typical fashion I'll clear it up tomorrow.

The logistics and final preps for the concrete pour are looming fast. Cool!

WOW! I'm haflway through the floor job. I'll also need to start thinking about ordering the SYLOMER soon [ $$$$$$$ ALERT! :( :( ] This will be painful to the scrooge side of me, but pleasureable to the investment side. The Sylomer apparently takes about 3 to 4 weeks to deliver. Lest they actually keep any in stock :( . but never mind I need to give the concrete base a few weeks to cure properly and reach pretty much full strength before laying another concrete slab on top it.

Triple checking the Sylomer calcs will be a must. I'm down to around a 13Hz natural frequency, but due to Eric's kind an excellent help with Sylomer specific properties, I know that in reality the natural frequency will be slightly lower than my calcs. Which is Cool.

The thing I'm slightly unsure about is the actual placing of the sylomer blocks when you've got varying loads across the floated slab. For example...

The stud/Drywall walls sit close to the edge of the slab. Obviously the load here is much greater than in the middle of the floor. Especially the two opposing walls that are holding the ceiling up.

I've calculated the amount of syloer required on a 'zone' basis. i.e. the inner fllor area is one zone. The footprint of each wall is another zone. the area where the heavy speaker stands will sit is another zone etc.

The thing is, the loads don't change between zones instananeously as the concrete spreads the load. The load graph of a cross section floor would be a curve I guess.

Does anyone experienced in floating floors know if this gonna be an issue or not, or can I breathe easily and place the sylomer on a zone by zone basis. i.e. each zone having the correct amount of blocks under it.

Cheers :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:16 am

Hi Paul,

You can do it on a zone by zone basis.
If the floor slab is reinforced it will smooth one another out.
Take into account that your theoretical deflection will be only in the neighborhood of 5 to 7 mm (ca 1/4 inch). So the whole thing will set itself.

The only easy way to do it exacter is with air silencers. One pumps them until they have a predefined deflection. This means that the dynamic stiffness of every individual silencer is exactly tuned to the load they carry. But they are not applicable in this case.

Eric

Postby Paul Woodlock » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:58 pm

Eric Desart wrote:Hi Paul,

You can do it on a zone by zone basis.
If the floor slab is reinforced it will smooth one another out.
Take into account that your theoretical deflection will be only in the neighborhood of 5 to 7 mm (ca 1/4 inch). So the whole thing will set itself.

The only easy way to do it exacter is with air silencers. One pumps them until they have a predefined deflection. This means that the dynamic stiffness of every individual silencer is exactly tuned to the load they carry. But they are not applicable in this case.

Eric

Thanks Eric :)

Much appreciated :)

And it's nice to know I'll gain 5 to 7mm of ceiling height. The more the better.

Perhaps I should have built the floor to be a large piston so the studio actually floats on JUST air :) :)

My immediate concerns are getting the concrete supporting slab level so the Sylomer blocks are at least level to start with. I'm gonna use a long wooden tamping board that stretches across the whole floor. As at least I know the sides of the mould are level. well at least level within 2 or 3 mm. A Water Level is a great device, if a little clumsy to work with. :)

Anybody with a pair of wellie boots is welcome to come to Peterborough and help with the concrete pour in a couple of weeks. 15 tons of concrete to shovel and only 2 hours at the most to do it. SCARY!! :) And one job I certainly can't so on my own.

Do you fancy it Eric? Bit of exercise will do you good :) I could get a crayon and write GALAXY on the side of the garage so you feel at home :) :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby MarkEdmonds » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:23 pm

Paul Woodlock wrote:Anybody with a pair of wellie boots is welcome to come to Peterborough and help with the concrete pour in a couple of weeks. 15 tons of concrete to shovel and only 2 hours at the most to do it. SCARY!! :) And one job I certainly can't so on my own.

Give me a shout if you need the help.

Mark
MarkEdmonds

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:54 pm

Paul Woodlock wrote: Do you fancy it Eric? Bit of exercise will do you good :) I could get a crayon and write GALAXY on the side of the garage so you feel at home :) :)
Paul

Are you sure you want to do ME a favor??????
To be honest,..... I got more attractive invitations already (mostly AFTER the work is done) :):)

Eric

Postby Paul Woodlock » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:50 am

hehe

Ok, you can look after the Lapdancers at the Studio Opening Party

Paul :) :)
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:55 am

Friday 26th March 2004 1:51am

Greetings

Now with PICTURES!! ( Pics so it DID happen :) )

http://groups.msn.com/PaulsStudioBuildPictures will take you there.

Sadly the tukbnails haven't appeared yet, but descripions are below each piccie.

So far, a concise history of the Floor.

I hope to post pics regularly now, but I've only got 3Mb on MSN groups, so stuff will ahve to get deleted as time goes by, but I'll try to leave everything up there for as long as possible.

Didn't bother cleaning teh garage today. Simply couldn't be bothered :) Doesn't matter, the next job is sorting the concrete pour, which could take some time. I know the project management is finish one job before sorting the next, but I can't be more time efficient as I don't know how long each job will take. Wheras pro builders have a good idea, and can plan more in advance. ( Just another lame excuse as to why it's taking so long :) )

cya

Paul

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:24 pm

Celebrating a 1000 views of the Topic.

Wow!

Thankyou all for your interest :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:51 pm

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw,

Nice, Very nice.
I'm tired already just by looking to this work...............

Resting now.......

Postby Ido » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:25 am

Eric Desart wrote:Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw,

Nice, Very nice.

Resting now.......

My sentiments exactly.
I admire your energy and the "seeing it through" (which is the hardest part).
(I would frame/case that boombox, with the accumulated dust of course).
Ido
Ido

Postby Paul Woodlock » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:35 pm

Ido wrote:(I would frame/case that boombox, with the accumulated dust of course).
Ido

hehe - I'm amazed the boombox still works. It used to play CDs and cassttes as well as radio, but a couple of years ago I left it on a gas heater and melted it. Which didn't go down too well as it was my woman Diane's. I had to buy her a new one. :)

Still the radio works, and is great entertainment while doing some of the more tedious aspects of the work.

Ironically, I ws thinking of the glass case for build momento's. I kept one chunk of the original floor for the same purpose :) Iv'e also got pair of jeans with the arse and knees ripped out :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:45 pm

Eric Desart wrote:Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw,

Nice, Very nice.

Resting now.......

Thanks Eric! and Ido :)

Means a lot.

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Howler » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:46 pm

Doggone!! Glad you had to do all that, and not me. Bomb shelter indeed.

sf
Stephen Foster
Stephen Foster & Howler
http://www.howler.biz
Howler

Postby Paul Woodlock » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:13 am

Monday 29th March 2004 3:43am

Sheltered from sub-garage bombs at least! :)

Well I've been doing some design tidying up tonight.

A short recap: The floating floor sits on a sub slab. The sub slab sits BETWEEN the original garage foundations to prevent any loads on the foundations causing them to lean over.

However the foundations couldn't be trimmed back enough to get to the original design room size, so I've had to make the room slightly smaller. About 150mm / 6" off the width and about 100mm / 4" off the length [ 4" of your length is not a good thing - Ooer Missus! :) ]

Furthermore at the front of the garage the foudnations are really thick in the corners, due to innacuracies of the original digger driver, so the Room won't be rectangular anymore. I've had to chamfer off the front corners by about 1m x 0.3m. it was either that or have rectangulr room a lot skinnier. ( you can see the thicker corner foundations in one of the piccies http://groups.msn.com/PaulsStudioBuildPictures )

I also spent a bit of time triple checking the Sylomer quantities.

The logisitics of the concrete pour has started. I've roped in another mate to help, and he also owns a pair of wellies. Cool!

My other mate jonathan doesn't have any wellies, and neither have I, so this week I'll be going on a wellie hunt.

I also need to go down the local building suppliers and source the straightest piece of 5m timber I can find. For tamping, levelling and screeding the concrete.

The studio build is entering a rather scary phase, as BIG JOBS for BIG MONEY are looming. I reckon the 6.5 of concrete will be about £450 ( $800 ) delivered + wellies.

And paying over £1,000 ( $1800 ) for a 2.4 m2 sheet of rubber ( the Sylomer ) is something quite alien to me. And that's uncut. They charge you hundreds of pounds MORE to cut the stuff for you. So I'M cutting it myself. The average block size will be 80mm x 80mm x 50mm thick. roughly 4" x 4" x 2" Lots of them basically.

£1,000 is a LOT of Bratwürste. :( :( You guys are right. I am insane. IT BETTER WORK!!! :) :)

Right, I'm now going to devour a nice curry and have a beer ( or 3 ) !

cya laters

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby myles » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:34 pm

Nice work, Paul! Very inspiring. Much dirtier than my studio - much better, too!

And I WILL come up there soon!

Regards,

Myles
myles

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:30 am

Paul:

Just in case you ever think you've gone overboard, just consider what these people have done for a subwoofer horn.
http://www.royaldevice.com/custom3.htm
Regards
Bob Golds
"The only thing we regret in life is the love we failed to give."
"Be a rapturist -- the backward of a terrorist. Commit random acts of senseless kindness, whenever possible" - Jake Stonebender
Bob

Postby Paul Woodlock » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:16 pm

Bob wrote:Paul:

Just in case you ever think you've gone overboard, just consider what these people have done for a subwoofer horn.

I Know, I've seen that before. Amazing! :)

cheers for the link though

Paul :)
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby MarkEdmonds » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:23 pm

Bob wrote:Paul:

Bleedin' 'eck!!!

They said they've got the chamber sealed and covered by one tonne of marble - what if they get a dry joint or something go wrong down there?

I am doing some simple test builds in my room tomorrow which I have mulled over for ages - really simple stuff. I just cannot begin to contemplate how you actually hit the "commit" button on a project like that Royal Device build. Awesome stuff!
MarkEdmonds

Postby Paul Woodlock » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:53 am

Weds 31st March 2004 03:28pm

Greetings!

I'm fucking starving!! It's my own fault I haven't eaten all day. My one bit of chauvenism is that Woman cooks the evening meal. ( She's a lot better at it than me, so I guess it's due to natural selection ) She went out to eat with her mate tonight. That's the real reason. I was too lazy. So now at half three in the morning I'm famished. SO tonights meal is a lazy portion of Breaded scampi and kitchen floor dust. I dropped the damn scampi on the floor while opening the bag. :( ( Oh well it didn't kill me last time! )

Anyway, I got 2 pairs of Wellies yesterday from a shop that is reknowned for being cheap and cheerful and as a result contains far too many Chavs. Although cheap, the wellies are perfect for concrete pouring as they've a strap at the side to do them up tight, to prevent them filling up. Cool! A result! I also bought a rake for £3.

Todays job was going down Travis Perkins ( the usual building supplier ) to pick up a 5m length of timber for the compacting and levelling. I Measured the length of the car. It was 4.3 metres. Cool. I can go and select a straight piece and bring it home today.

I got down there andthey only had 4.8 or 5.4m lengths. hmmm? Ok we'll have a 5.4 length then.

"You ain't gonna put that on your car are you?"

"Erm, I think so?" I replied. ( I'd brought two old manky teashirts to staple to the ends of the wood to prevent cyclists from headbutting the wood )

"It's too fucking long mate! It's illegal!"

He was right. I might have got away with a 5m length ( Ooer! ), but this was pushing it too far. I couldn't afford the court case. Paul Woodlock v. Flat Faced Cyclist

The yardman sent me to the office to get it delivered. The trouble with wood, is that most of it is warped. You can spend ages looking through a pile to find a straight bit. And I NEED a straight bit wood. I don't wanna be shimming 200 blocks of rubber. SO I made sure they wrote on the ticket "MUST BE STRAIGHT".

Despite this, I know what's gonna happen. I'm gonna receive a bit of wood tied in a reef knot on thursday.

Maybe I should turn this hole into a HUGE Subwoofer horn like the guys in Bobs Link above. Maybe not.

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion