LEDE system

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

LEDE system

Postby ver2o » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:33 pm

What is Lede design? Thanks at all.
ver2o

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:23 pm

LEDE. Live End, Dead End
The idea that one end of the room is absrobtive (dead end), and the other end is not (live end).
Home theaters tend to use the speakers at the dead end, and RFZ control rooms seem to use the speakers at the live end.
Some places put difusion in the live end.
Regards
Bob Golds
"The only thing we regret in life is the love we failed to give."
"Be a rapturist -- the backward of a terrorist. Commit random acts of senseless kindness, whenever possible" - Jake Stonebender
Bob

Postby Dan Nelson » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:52 am

Chip Davis came up with it and google is failing me on any links to Chip Davis Design.

found it http://www.chips-davis.com

You can have a RFZ in a LEDE. "Reflection Free" is somewhat misleadin, you only attempt to be reflection free for the early reflections. Most of the times I put the bulk of my absorption on the front wall and only the least amount needed on the sides and ceiling for any flutter or early reflections and diffusers on the rear wall. I want a good amount of energy reflected back to the mix position at the right time in a controlled manner.

Dan
Dan Nelson

Postby Savant » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:02 pm

Good topic, fellas!

First, sorry to be so picky, but it's Chips Davis. Chips Davis Designs.

Second, the LEDE concept was (officially) introduced at the 1979 AES Show in L.A. by Chips and Don Davis (no relation). You can purchase the original preprint (No. 1502) at AES.

Third, the concept is described in even more detail in Don and Carolyn Davis' book, Sound System Engineering.
---Σοφός---

10*bLog(P²)

"That buzzing noise means something." - Winnie the Pooh
Savant

Return to Discussion