Advice needed on small control/live room treatment.

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Advice needed on small control/live room treatment.

Postby Chuffy » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:45 am

I there folks, I was directed over here the lovely chaps at the Cubase forums.

I, like a lot of people have a small (and I mean small) room that doubles as a control and live room, so I need to find a compromise between the non-reflective room required for tracking and the more reflective room needed for mixing.
I have drapes around 3 of the walls (there is a window between the monitors with a drape in it also) and carpet on the floor which needs replacing anyway.
I am considering glueing acoustic tiles to the ceiling and maybe acoustic carpet tiles to the floor, both which are available from Studio Spares.
Does anyone have any advice on the matter.
One main point being, should I put the tiles on the ceiling or will this make it too 'dead'?
Is there such a thing as 'acoustic carpet tiles' or would I be better off going to B&Q and probably saving some money??
Anywhere cheaper than Studio Spares???
Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. Please note I am not trying to achieve full soundproofing just enough damping to improve on what I already have with the minimum of hassle.
Chuffy

Postby Dan Nelson » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:41 am

How small? I have recorded tracks many times in control rooms. Tell us more about your room. Binary Amplitude Diffsorbors from RPG have worked work really well for me in small rooms http://www.rpginc.com/products/badpanel/index.htm they give some diffusion and absorption without making the room too dead sounding

Dan
Dan Nelson

Return to Discussion