Converting Loft/Attic Into Techno/Electronic MIDI Studio

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Converting Loft/Attic Into Techno/Electronic MIDI Studio

Postby ampthetex » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:03 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here would be so kind to share some of their ideas, and thoughts about turning a loft/attic into a techno/electronic MIDI studio.

What would be the best soundproofing solutions ?, taking into consideration that loft/attics are in strange shapes, with sloping faces etc.

If anyone has any information that they would like to share with me for my studio build, then either e-mail me at; ampthetex@yahoo.co.uk, or post a reply here.

I look forward to hearing any suggestions, and ideas that you may have

Kindest regards

Steven Price aka Ampthetex

http://www.ampthetex.com
Music, Samples, Soundfonts, Software, MP3’s, Audio Engineering Information, Course Information, Chat, Forums, Links & Much More. Visit; http://www.ampthetex.co.uk
ampthetex

Postby Scott R. Foster » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:40 am

Depends

What is the exisitng construction?

How much isolation is required?
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby ampthetex » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:06 pm

The existing construction is basically the roof which is made up of Slates, Wooden Battons, and Felt Sheeting.

The Floor area is only the Thick Wooden Beams, and Rockwool for insulation in between the wooden beams.

I am looking to floor it first, but Im not sure which would be the best material to use ?
I was thinking of first laying the wood/boards, that you would find on pallets, then lay a better surface, and carpet on top of it.

OR

Use the big wood boards, then floor on top of that, but the only down fall of this would be that it costs more, and the big boards may be difficult to get up in the attic/loft.

Insulation

Doesnt have to be fully soundproofed to the max, but pretty good insulation and hopefully natural sounding response, not to many reflections.

I'll Post a rough drawing/sketch, of the floor layout soon.
Music, Samples, Soundfonts, Software, MP3’s, Audio Engineering Information, Course Information, Chat, Forums, Links & Much More. Visit; http://www.ampthetex.co.uk
ampthetex

Postby Paul Woodlock » Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:41 pm

GReetings

Has the loft already been converted to a habitable room, or is it currently still just a loft?

Some points to be aware of.....

"Wooden Battens" ?? Are these roof trusses ( identified by the 'batterns being fixed together by toothed metal plates ), or a traditional constructed roof. How old is the house?

weight of extra layers on floor and angled ceiling should be calculated to ensure the whole thing doesn't collapse. Soundproofing requires mass.

Roofs of this type need ventliation to prevent mould and dry rot, etc,etc Check before boarding up the trusses ( roof structure )

Loft conversions have to adhere to the fire regs. if there's a fire in your house and you're stuck in the loft? Say no more!!

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby ampthetex » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:34 pm

The Loft is still just a loft it has not been made in to an habitable area as such, the house is around 60 years old, etc.

So their are none of this wooden truss business to worry about. It is quite roomy inside, and is perfect for a small MIDI/Techno Studio.

What would you suggest to do first ?, and how much (rough estimastion) will the cost be ? To turn it into a normal space to work with, at first ?
ampthetex

Return to Discussion