Standard Office 'T-Bar' Type Ceiling Tiles...Any Properties?

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Standard Office 'T-Bar' Type Ceiling Tiles...Any Properties?

Postby ZapAxe » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:57 pm

Hello,

I have a box of ceiling tile 2'X2' squares hanging around that normally go in offices in suspeneded T-Bar type ceilings. They are light weight, soft & crumbly, much like Sound-Board.
I figure that they at least defuse sound somewhat do to their soft surfaces.

I was wondering if it would be worth placing them at specific areas in my 9'X11' (all in one room) home studio to help reflected sounds.

I don't figure it would help reduce any sound levels, especially since I won't be covering the whole room, if I use them at all.

Another thought for a use is to put them in some corners, so that my corners will not be a 90 degree angle but two 45 degree angles. I'd have to place some kind of brace in the corner to hold them in place.

Just a thought here...?

Steve
ZapAxe

Postby Bob » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:27 pm

These sound a little like acoustic ceiling tile, in which case they are absorbers (not difusers nor reflectors).
They won't be as effective as 4" of fiberglass for a corner trap, but they should do something corner-trap-ish.
If you have them lying around they're certainly cost effective (i.e. zero $), and you don't have to wrap them.
Regards
Bob Golds
"The only thing we regret in life is the love we failed to give."
"Be a rapturist -- the backward of a terrorist. Commit random acts of senseless kindness, whenever possible" - Jake Stonebender
Bob

Postby jcgriggs23 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:15 am

If you do use them, you will want airspace (preferably filled with glass or rock wool) behind them. They won't do much acoustically (except perhaps at very high frequencies) mounted flat on a surface.

I wouldn't bother doing the corners with them - save up for glass or rock fibre board and use the "Dave trap" design from the archives.

My $0.02 (Canadian),
John
jcgriggs23

Postby ZapAxe » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:25 am

Thanks Bob & JC,

Come to think of it, if I'm working above a ceiling in an office building, I CAN still hear people fine through the ceiling although a bit muffled.
For one thing they're usually 2X4 ft tiles, so maybe the gaps may be letting in additinal sound to pass.
So they aborb 'somewhat' for the very high freqs.

So maybe it's not worth bothering if there are far better materials. Even Sound-Board is pretty cheap to absorb additional sounds, and i did but about 6 4X8 ft sheets that I have laying around.

I'll have to look into some serious corner traps.

Btw, what is the "Dave Trap" design? I never heard of this.

Steve
ZapAxe

Postby Paul Woodlock » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:33 pm

ZapAxe wrote:Thanks Bob & JC,

Come to think of it, if I'm working above a ceiling in an office building, I CAN still hear people fine through the ceiling although a bit muffled.
For one thing they're usually 2X4 ft tiles, so maybe the gaps may be letting in additinal sound to pass.
So they aborb 'somewhat' for the very high freqs.

So maybe it's not worth bothering if there are far better materials. Even Sound-Board is pretty cheap to absorb additional sounds, and i did but about 6 4X8 ft sheets that I have laying around.

I'll have to look into some serious corner traps.

Btw, what is the "Dave Trap" design? I never heard of this.

Steve

Greetings Steve :)

The Dave Trap is basically a slab of rigid rockwool Owens Corning 703/ Rockwool RW3 placed at 45 deg across each corner of the room. preferably 4" thick, and from floor to ceiling. fix in with a wooden frame and cover with cloth to taste. Also known as 'Corner Traps'

You can also do 'Horizontal corners' ( i.e. where walls and ceiling meet ) as an addition or alternative.

Very simple to make. Even for an electrician! ( guffaw! ) :) :) :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby ZapAxe » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:52 am

Hey there Paul,

You know an electricain's moto around here is "We Fix Your Shorts"...Cums in handy for the pretty women at service calls;)

Ok, then.. I get now. But are these Dave Traps a solution designed for 'Sound-Proofing' or just 'Standing Waves' for room acoustics?
My room is not really sound proofed ready per say, but I DO want to 'Reduce' levels...Especially when I start doing my vocal work [gasp]. As a mater of fact I plan to build a 'Tear-Down' type vocal booth so I'll have that in my 9X11ft studio room - as a room within a room. That'll keep my voice from prying ears!

Steve
ZapAxe

Return to Discussion