Chapel Studio

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Chapel Studio

Postby Graham B » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:33 am

Hello everyone,

I'm Graham Bonnett (no, not the rock singer before you ask!). I have been lurking for some time now, and feel that I know the regular contributors quite well! I am based in the UK (not too far from Paul W actually).

For some months I have been planning a studio for my producer friend Lee, who has just moved into a converted chapel. Before I start with the questions, I should explain something about the way Lee will use this room..

We don't intend to partition the room into control room and studio. Lee generally plays most of the instruments in his productions. The playing area will be set up with his many guitar amps, several drum kits, Hammond & Leslie, keyboards and over 40 guitars. It will also be used as a lounge. We intend to make a "control room" area in part of the room where the ceiling height is lowest (under 9ft). He uses Genelec 1031s as his main monitors (time he bought his own rather than using mine!) and has just acquired a pair of large Boxer 2 studio monitors (3 way with 2x 12" bass drivers) for occasional use. These must be soffit mounted. Lee only works during the daytime (unlike Paul!), so we are going to virtually ignore sound leakage issues, despite the building being close to neighbours. This may be a dangerous decision, but it would be way too expensive to do properly for a room of this size, and ruin the ascetics. Bear in mind that this is also home for Lee and his partner! Take a look at this pdf:

http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/gbonnett/chapel_overview.pdf

The total volume is over 15,000 cu ft (426 cubic metres). Larger than most of the spaces discussed in this forum, which will no doubt make for different problems..
The large windows are fitted with double glazed units. A hardwood floor will be installed throughout.

I have some ideas for acoustic treatment of the playing area, but that's a few weeks away and this is already becoming very long for my first post! Our first jobs will be the monitor wall and a spaced 4" mineral wool ceiling throughout the control area.

I am very keen to hear opinions on my 4.3m monitor wall idea which will end way before it reaches the side walls.

I'm intending to soffit mount the 1031s below the Boxers. What do you think? Anyone heard Genelec 1031s in a wall?

I have many questions to put to you, but I think this really is enough for now!
Thank you in advance guys..

Graham
Graham B

Postby Dan Nelson » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:01 am

It should be no problem soffit mounting 1031's here is a link to a genelec paper on soffit mounting if you haven't already seen it.
http://www.genelec.com/support/soffit.php

How far back will the mix position be then? 2m?

Dan
Dan Nelson

Postby Paul Woodlock » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:25 pm

Greetings Graham :)

You're not the Graham Bonnet I used to know nearly 25 years ago in Bury st Edmunds are you? Did you used to work at Red Bus Studios? ( and previously at a company who made autogyros? )

PAul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Ido » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:09 pm

<Red Bus Studios> = very cool name.

Graham, sorry, no time to go into your stuff in depth, but in general, I think its better that only the bigger ones be soffit.
Finish the place, then play around with Genelecs:
1. you get important comparisions.
2. you might soffit and get non desirable sound forced from positoning,
which isn't limitation if they are free on stands (you might have room mode problems from soffit positioning.)

This is more intuition than concrete know how, so salt grain it.
Ido
Ido

Postby Graham B » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:45 am

Hey Paul!

Yes that's me! What a strange & small world.. Been thinking your name sounded familiar but can't think who you are or how you know me. Don't be offended, I do have a terrible memory. Going to have one of those big "oh yes" moments when you tell. Humm wait, were you in a band back then?? We should meet up sometime whatever.. Mail off list, we should spare the others this stuff!!

Dan & Ido,

Thanks for your thoughts. I wasn't going to soffit the Genelecs, but after reading that paper, It really seemed to make a lot of sense. I know what you mean Ido; but maybe I should make provision for them in the wall, I can always take them out & block the holes. As for room modes, don't forget that the back wall is over 7m away! Unusual setup huh? I was thinking of putting a heavy curtain at the back of the sofa to close when mixing. Wonder if that will make it too dead in there though with only low frequncies returning..

Yes, the mix position will be about 2m back. Check out this (unfinished) drawing:
http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/gbonnett/monitor_wall.pdf
Damned difficult to draw all those angles in 2D! Will get some help with 3D drawing before construction. I am intending to make the wall face hard and smooth. Agreed?

Graham
Graham B

Postby Paul Woodlock » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:54 am

Graham B wrote:Hey Paul!

Yes that's me! What a strange & small world.. Been thinking your name sounded familiar but can't think who you are or how you know me. Don't be offended, I do have a terrible memory. Going to have one of those big "oh yes" moments when you tell. Humm wait, were you in a band back then?? We should meet up sometime whatever.. Mail off list, we should spare the others this stuff!!

Cool. I knew it was you :) Yeah I was in the Midnite Band, although I was doing my studio apprenticeship at Redbus. I was the one who told you about Redbus :)

I stayed in the band for quite a few years after that, apart from a breif period engineering for the Enid at htier Lodge Studios.

:) Nice to hear from ya again.

Dan & Ido,

Thanks for your thoughts. I wasn't going to soffit the Genelecs, but after reading that paper, It really seemed to make a lot of sense. I know what you mean Ido; but maybe I should make provision for them in the wall, I can always take them out & block the holes. As for room modes, don't forget that the back wall is over 7m away! Unusual setup huh? I was thinking of putting a heavy curtain at the back of the sofa to close when mixing. Wonder if that will make it too dead in there though with only low frequncies returning..

Yes, the mix position will be about 2m back. Check out this (unfinished) drawing:
http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/gbonnett/monitor_wall.pdf
Damned difficult to draw all those angles in 2D! Will get some help with 3D drawing before construction. I am intending to make the wall face hard and smooth. Agreed?

Graham

The hard wall sounds cool for the soffit monitors, but would be an early reflection boundary for the Genelecs if you're not soffit mounting them.

( I'm jealous of the size of the room :) )

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Return to Discussion