Drywall Construction Tip...

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Drywall Construction Tip...

Postby Paul Woodlock » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:25 pm

Greetings

I mentioned this in a nother thread but thought it worthy of it's own topic.

When thinking about my drywall on studs inner room construction, I realised that I would be screwing many 'things' to the walls and ceiling. particularly frames for internal acoustic treatment.

As you probably know fixing to drywall is a PITA.

So I've replaced one of the layers of drywall with MDF. not the room facing layer, but the layer behind that to preserve some fire resisitence.

This will mean I can fix things to the walls and ceiling ANYWHERE, and not have to worry about where the studs are ( except for extremely heavy items.

Using MDF as one of the layers will presumably affect the transmission loss in some way. but MDF is denser than standard dywall, and as dense as 'soundbloc' type drywall.

So unless it noticably degrades the TL (transmission loss ) it sounds like a really cool idea. :)

HTH

Paul :)
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:00 pm

Mechanically I like it.
I need to create a 'closet' for speakers, and columns in my room, and I can't attach it to the ceiling. Being able to attach them to both the floor and the wall could be structurally good. (Wall on RSIC and floor on Kinetic's RIM pads). I don't mind if it moves a millimeter or two, I just don't want it to rattle or fall over.
I've heard of people using a sheet of MDF behind a layer of drywall for 'planned speaker and shelf installations' before. But it sounds like you're going to try the entire room for unplanned locations.
Regards
Bob Golds
"The only thing we regret in life is the love we failed to give."
"Be a rapturist -- the backward of a terrorist. Commit random acts of senseless kindness, whenever possible" - Jake Stonebender
Bob

Postby Paul Woodlock » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:58 pm

Bob wrote:Mechanically I like it.
... But it sounds like you're going to try the entire room for unplanned locations.

Absolutely! :)

I've a pretty good idea of what acoustic treatment I'll be installing, but I can't finalise that until I finish the superstructure, install the equipemnt and do some tests ( Boy am I looking forward to that day! )

Also there's the aesthetics to consider.

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Return to Discussion