OT / recommendation for digi camera

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Postby bert stoltenborg » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:34 pm

Although it was a pity when terry farrel left the sequel
8O
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:25 am

bert stoltenborg wrote:Do you also own these star trek deep space nine series?

I once sent a snail mail letter to the producers of that show saying, more or less
"Please stop making these. They're awful. I'll watch them because they're Star Trek, BUT I'M NOT ENJOYING IT."
About a month later I stopped watching.

BTW, the movie "The Man from Earth (2007)" about a 14000 year old man, I thought it stole half of its ideas from 1960's Star Trek episode "Requiem for Methuselah" and I was a little upset about it. Turns out that Jerome Bixby wrote the following:
- movie "The Man from Earth"
- old Star Trek "Requiem for Methuselah" about 'Flint' a 6000 year old man
- movie "Fantastic Voyage"
- old Star Trek "Mirror Mirror" -- which has been redone in every Star Trek reincarnation (STNG, DS9, Entraprise)
- old Star Trek "Day of the Dove" -- fighting Klingons with swords in Entraprise engine room
- the short story "It's a Good Life" which appeared on the original Twilight Zone 1961's, as well as in the movie 1983, and the latest version 2003 "It's still a good life". Cornfield. I'd seen Bill Mummy on Babylon 5, never noticing he was in both It's A Good Life and It's Still A Good Life, as well as Lost In Space 1960's.
Regards
Bob Golds
"The only thing we regret in life is the love we failed to give."
"Be a rapturist -- the backward of a terrorist. Commit random acts of senseless kindness, whenever possible" - Jake Stonebender
Bob

Postby Ido » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:55 am

Bob, yo list ain't good enough... so you got a million, but what did you like/love etc.?

Flav, I was just forced to see a recent Romanian movie (2 girls, abortion), I didn't like it cause I don't like real-life depressing movies (I don't need movies for that), but it was very well done, very good acting etc.  

Zaph, just saw constantine, and .. you are BLAMED  :D !
(well, at least i didn't fast forward it like the other crap movies I see. it wasn't that bad. thanks).
signature
Ido

Postby Zaphod » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:53 am

bert,

i do have the last 3-4 seasons of DS9, because here they stopped
transmitting it as soon as the Dominion appeared and i had to buy
them.

I must admit it's my pet star trek series of the modern era  :mrgreen:

It's certainly the less-trekkie of all.

The original series and TNG expecially pointed out how the human
race had socially and mentally evolved, DS9 kinda says that when
one is cornered, the beast still comes out...

But i enjoyed very much the Garak character and his relation with the
doctor.

Ido,
Now you know you can't trust me, you should have listened to bert  :D
Didn't you like Gabriel? As i said i found the character intriguing.

Also the visuals of the dead world was quite good.
I think i saw the movie at least three or four times (one in italian plus a couple
of times in english).

And they speak well of cats, so it must be a good movie  :mrgreen:
I try never to get involved in my own life. Too much trouble. :mrgreen:
Zaphod

Postby bert stoltenborg » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:06 pm

I liked the tongue in cheek humor of DS9
Like when this barkeeper, baarff or whatever, was set back in time and came in this hangar 18-like camp, with 1950 atmosphere where everybody was constantly smoking...
Or when they had to go undercover on the original enterprice, whit terry farrel in a sexist miniskirt and Wofrff being totally uncomfortable because he had to explain why these klingons looked so strange  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Star trek was always a reflection of the time it was made in.
The old one's are westerns, with good guys and bad guys, and the bad guys had to leave town before sunset or James t kirk would blow their heads off.....
Next generation was more a hippy series, with everything being settled because there is good in anybody.... :mrgreen:

I learned to speak german from star trek as it was on german television, i was totally intrigued and had to understand what was said.
:D
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Postby Ido » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:07 pm

Zaphod wrote:..Didn't you like Gabriel? As i said i found the character intriguing.
:

the angel? ok. but I did think the first worth while acting in the movie came at the end with the guy who played the devil (the father devil). he & gabriel were worth a watch.
signature
Ido

Postby Scott R. Foster » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:33 pm

Bob:

I find that quote pretty typical of the clever tyrant... turn everything upside down and tell a big lie.  It always sounds good unless and until you you look at the stark facts... in this case that would be the fact that CW and the CIA renegades didn't kill those million Afghans, communist invaders seeking to enslave their nation did.  A lot of slaves were killed in the US civil war, but that hardly strikes me as a compelling argument to wish it had not been fought and one by the Union forces.  It reminds me of a conversation I had with my Dad a couple of years ago.

Popa:  ...war never solved anything.

Me: Yeah that's right - war never solved nothing... except Nazism... and Communism... and slavery... and genocide.

Popa: That's not what I meant.

Me: I know... that 's why you are wrong.

Anyhoo.. thanks for the tips on the other books.  I think I might find them interesting, though I doubt I would buy anything written by Tenet.  I hold him to be representative of many of the things that are institutionally wrong with the CIA and American foriegn policy in general... so I am reluctant to give him my money... as opposed to folks like Gus from the CWW story who had a simple plan and the guts to carry it out - in his case: if you are against slavery... then give the slaves guns. Because a slave with a gun may not live very long, but he won't die a slave.  You might or might not think that a good bargain, but the Afgahns did and very happy to take Gus up on it.  I hope we never have to make such a choice - but then that is kinda the whole idea from Gus' point of view.  Kill those who would enslave the world - early, and often.  The CIA's enormous resistance to this concept is one of the compelling elements of the CWW story.... and the fact it was pulled off by a CIA project against enormous institutional momentum is one of the most surprising elements [that and the juxtaposition of the hedonistic playboy CW and the larger themes of a people barbarically struggling against barbarity].  In a lot of ways its reminded me of the themes in Apocolypto.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Ido » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:40 pm

hey Scott,
I liked your conversation with your father.
signature
Ido

Postby Ido » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:52 pm

good books I hold in favor from years ago:

soldier of the great war - mark helprin

hanta yo - ruth beebe hill

that new film based on bob dylan is worth a watch, not saying a masterpiece, but good.
I'm blown away there by 2 scenes and their musicians: richie haven (singing on the porch), and this fella jim james singing with an americana brass band "goin to acpulco". incredible.
signature
Ido

Postby Scott R. Foster » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Ido:

You'd like my Pop... he's into building wildlife birdhouses and stuff like that... these days he has a bunch of bluebird houses that are hatching eggs like crazy.

and he is smart enough to lose an argument every once in a while... but you better enjoy it, because it don't happen every day.   :D
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Ido » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:50 pm

Scott, you're right, I like him already (and if he managed to come up with you I reckon he can't be all that bad).
beautiful pic btw.
signature
Ido

Postby Scott R. Foster » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:48 pm

National Geo....
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:01 pm

Bob

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:01 pm

Scott:
It reminds me of a conversation I had with my Dad a couple of years ago

Excellent.
Bob

Postby Scott R. Foster » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:24 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Soldier-Great-War ... 0380715899

This looks pretty good.  Thanks Ido!
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Terry Montlick » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:06 pm

Gonna watch Charlie Wilson's War soon, as per Scott's commentary. I'm way too ignorant to even try to understand what Scott wrote right now.

Movies I've most recently watched (in order of remembering):
The Right Stuff (also reread the wondrous book)
Iron Man
Apollo 13
The Invisible Man (1933)
Shall We Dance (1937)
Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)
Son of Frankenstein (1939)
I Walked with a Zombie
Cat People (1942)
Laura (also read book, 1942, "For Victory, Buy United States War Savings Bonds Stamps" on jacket)
The Spirit of St. Louis (1957)
The Apartment (thought I'd seen it but I didn't -- terrific!)
Some Like it Hot (for n'th time)
One, Two, Three (another Billy Wilder comedy, 1961, set in W. Berlin right before wall went up)

Regards,
Terry
Terry Montlick Labs
Tweeters tweaked. Woofers neutered.
Terry Montlick

Postby Scott R. Foster » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:35 pm

Terry:

If you like classic monster movies you might MST3k spoofs of cheesy ones

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k01BsCzS0wM

http://www.mst3kinfo.com/mstfaq/basics.html
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Terry Montlick » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:57 pm

Scott R. Foster wrote:Terry:

If you like classic monster movies you might MST3k spoofs of cheesy ones

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k01BsCzS0wM

http://www.mst3kinfo.com/mstfaq/basics.html

Thanks, Scott. Tom Servo has been one of my heroes for quite some time. :)

Regards,
Terry
Terry Montlick Labs
Tweeters tweaked. Woofers neutered.
Terry Montlick

Postby Scott R. Foster » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:19 pm

Robot roll call:

Cambot!

Gypsy!

Tom Servo!

CrooooooooooooW!
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Ido » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:07 am

the clip for goin to acapulco - jim james - the bob dylan movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miNfpJtqU_M

westerns: another of the real good ones: sam pekinpahs "billy the kid" (which btw dylan is there. no big deal, just anecdote)
with those 2 incredibles kris kristofrson & james coburn (they don't make em like they used to)
signature
Ido

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion