OT / recommendation for digi camera

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Re: OT / recommendation for digi camera

Postby Terry Montlick » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:38 pm

Zaphod wrote:We should begin to enforce a NSFW tag here :mrgreen:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nsfw

You're right, Zaph. Any photo of Bucatini all'Amatriciana which looks that good should carry a warning label. :mrgreen:
Terry Montlick Labs
Tweeters tweaked. Woofers neutered.
Terry Montlick

Re:

Postby Terry Montlick » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:42 am

Scott R. Foster wrote:Ya - Iiked CWW... the full story [non-Hollywood version] is even more interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Wilsons-W ... 0871138549

Great recommendation, Scott. Am reading this book now, and it is riveting.
Terry Montlick Labs
Terry Montlick

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:49 am

Nice...

I take it the new peepers are working out. If you need another suggestion - try this one - I bet you like it also.

http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Colditz-cl ... 175&sr=1-1
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Terry Montlick » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:36 pm

Scott R. Foster wrote:Nice...

I take it the new peepers are working out. If you need another suggestion - try this one - I bet you like it also.

http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Colditz-cl ... 175&sr=1-1

Thanks, Scott. Actually, I am "reading" CWW on audio book, all 20 hours, 27 minutes, and 24 seconds of it. A mix of audio and paper books seems best for my eye bones. Now, if only I could buy the audio version of AutoCAD for my backlog of acoustic room design work! :mrgreen:
Terry Montlick Labs
Terry Montlick

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:34 pm

Bob

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:58 pm

There ya go!

There is the right way, the wrong way, and the Boggle way.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Terry Montlick » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:12 pm

Nice collection! But it doesn't include one of my favorite British WWII movies, The Cockleshell Heroes, directed by and starring that famous Englishman, Jose Ferrer. :)
Terry Montlick Labs
Terry Montlick

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:36 pm

I have the above DVD set. The video/audio quality are good. I always liked The Dam Busters.

There's also a mini series of Colditz done in 2005, but I haven't seen it.

Cockleshell Heroes [1954] DVD, Region 2
Regards
Bob Golds
"The only thing we regret in life is the love we failed to give."
"Be a rapturist -- the backward of a terrorist. Commit random acts of senseless kindness, whenever possible" - Jake Stonebender
Bob

Postby Terry Montlick » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:43 pm

Bob wrote:I always liked The Dam Busters.

That's the one where they have to fly in really really low to bomb the dam? I love that too!
Terry Montlick Labs
Terry Montlick

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:52 pm

Ya... great story.

The bomb had a very small window on airplane altitude, speed and range to target in order to function without taking the plane with it. Airspeed metrics were a trivial problem, but having a tight metric on altitude - particularly at very low levels - was daunting.

The story goes that the answer came a theatrical event while looking at the lighting rig. Mount a spot light on each wing tip canted forward and toed in. When the beam spots on the water converge - you are flying at the precise altitude required [60 feet!]. A similar fixed angle concept was used to get a read on range from the dam for bomb drop - with a hand held "site" they lined up on the dam towers.

Clever bunch of boys in the 617. Not to mention the insanely clever Barnes Wallace who introduced geodesic framing to aircraft design and invented a lot of special muntions for use by 617 and similar units including the "Upkeep" cyndrical bomb used on the Mohne Dam, the Tallboy and the Grand Slam for use on sub pens and V weapon sites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCRIsjJFRNo

An old drinking buddy of mine was a pilot-navigator in the 617 [Vulcan Bombers] and his stories assured me the crazy brave traditions of Guy Gibson lived on long past the famous dam raids.

Also check out the squadron patch - cool eh what?

After me.. come the floods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._617_Squadron_RAF
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Ido » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:34 pm

I didn't read all those links though I intend to, cause I was big on aircraft in WW2.
check this out: at age 7-8, one of my favorite books was on airwarfare by one Ed Jablonski.
I practically knew pics and some writing there by heart.
anyways, several years ago, the subject came up, and a good relative of mine who is a librarian tracked down mr. Jablonski, talked to him, and gave me his phone number.
I called him (he was by now bout 80 years old), it was a real good talk, he was such a dear-sweet man.
I hope he's still around and in good health.
anyways, turns out this guy was mostly into writing about music! (i think jazz & gershwin, knew em both), and he was not gung-ho or into glorifiying war whatsoever. the war books came out cause he was on a b-17 during the war and that had an effect.
signature
Ido

Postby Scott R. Foster » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:16 pm

he was not gung-ho or into glorifiying war

I'm a bit of a military history buff... and in my experience, good military historians never glorify war. Those who try to do so end up writing drivel.

This was one of my favorites when I was a kid... I bet I read it 5 times.

Reach for the Sky: The Story of Douglas Bader, Legless Ace of the Battle of Britain

...which led me to read the Colditz Story [Bader was there] and Dambusters [same author].

I read this one several times also...

Wahoo: The Patrols of America's Most Famous World War II Submarine
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby bert stoltenborg » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:56 pm

War rules!

They just shot a dutch cameraman in some russian banana republic.
He worked for years with a buddy of mine.
Met him once. Makes you angry and sad, and doesn't improve your view on humanity.
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:51 pm

bert stoltenborg wrote:They just shot a dutch cameraman in some russian banana republic.

Georgian TV journalist Tamara Urushadze was shot by a Russian sniper during live broadcast of the Georgia / Russia war.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgjfuoDKYR0
Bob

Postby Terry Montlick » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:04 pm

bert stoltenborg wrote:War rules!

They just shot a dutch cameraman in some russian banana republic.
He worked for years with a buddy of mine.
Met him once. Makes you angry and sad, and doesn't improve your view on humanity.

Another book I am reading (using my actual eyes) is The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder, by super-prosecuting attorney Vincent Bugliosi (the guy who put away Charles Manson for life). It is a real eye-opener on American war and politics, just like Charlie Wilson's War.

Like somebody said, "Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it." Or something like that. I forget. :(
Terry Montlick Labs
Terry Montlick

Postby bert stoltenborg » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:35 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls3IbRvt-T4&NR=1

Bart Hettema is my buddy, know him since we were 15.
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Postby Ido » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:07 am

Scott R. Foster wrote:
he was not gung-ho or into glorifiying war

I'm a bit of a military history buff... and in my experience, good military historians never glorify war. Those who try to do so end up writing drivel.

This was one of my favorites when I was a kid... I bet I read it 5 times.

Reach for the Sky: The Story of Douglas Bader, Legless Ace of the Battle of Britain

...which led me to read the Colditz Story [Bader was there] and Dambusters [same author].

I read this one several times also...

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Wahoo-Patrols-Americas-Famous-Submarine/dp/0891415726/ref=pd_sim_b_3]Wahoo: The
Patrols of America's Most Famous World War II Submarine[/url]

thanks Scott!
I'm gonna look into all of those.
so those dam busters are also the original brits with the heavy lancasters?

anyways, there is something about the pre-digital ww2 era,
first, in my totally subjective eyes it seems there was more genuine human comradeship (versus absolute evil? cliche? whatever..), and regarding engineering ideas, you could go a very long way with pure original thinking.

so Scott, do you find the corsair ugly or beautiful? or both?
signature
Ido

Postby Ido » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:06 am

bert stoltenborg wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls3IbRvt-T4&NR=1

Bart Hettema is my buddy, know him since we were 15.

I'm sorry to hear this, Bertje.
signature
Ido

Postby Scott R. Foster » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:38 am

in my totally subjective eyes it seems there was more genuine human comradeship

I also sometimes have that feeling, but I think it mostly comes from the fact that the warriors of that era were so often presented in human scale in books and other media - today not so much. Seems to me everyone who writes about the warriors of today has a political point to make and that ruins ones ability to simply read the story - the humans and their experiences get lost in the shuffle. Even the books that aren't heavy on the politics are usually dry and technical.

Check out this blog post of my friend Fred Wellman - this sort of story would have been in the newsreels back in WWII - but you just don't see/hear this sort of thing very much these days.

http://armedandcurious.blogspot.com/200 ... f-joy.html

Though I will say the story of that Georgian female reporter who got nicked by a sniper round and kept reporting that made the rounds on YouTube is pretty human - and heoric. If the Georgian people as a whole are anywhere near this tough, the Russians have a tiger by the tail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hE24YvuMx8

====

Oh hell yeah the corsair is a looker for sure - but for my money - on looks alone - you can't beat the P51. Here's a couple of pics my friend Joe Wellman [who happens to be brother of Fred] sent me from the EAA Air Venture show in Oshkosh a couple of weeks ago. Those planes looks like it wants go fast!
Attachments
p51-2.jpg
p51-2.jpg (161.51 KiB) Viewed 6917 times
p51.jpg
p51.jpg (121.37 KiB) Viewed 6917 times
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Ido » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:23 am

Scott R. Foster wrote: .....
Though I will say the story of that Georgian female reporter who got nicked by a sniper round and kept reporting that made the rounds on YouTube is pretty human - and heoric. If the Georgian people as a whole are anywhere near this tough, the Russians have a tiger by the tail.!

I didn't think her heroic. brave, gutsy? sure. but that is more a dedication to the job kinda thing.
heroic IMO is when you risk yourself for others (not for a job), f.e., in the last terror attacks in Jerusalem, this killer went on a rampage in a CAT shovel tractor, running down killing people. the police tried but couldn't fully stop him, this kid of a soldier, on leave, saw what was going on, took a handgun from someone, ran after the tractor and jumped on it, and shot the killer- stopped the rampage. btw, he wasn't gung ho either- one could see from a vide taken of it that he didn't shoot immediately (i think there was also another policeman in the cab).
I think that after a short debrief he walked silently away to his home.

regrading tough people, as a nation, I now think that most nations-people, when threatened as a nation, become "tough".

Oh hell yeah the corsair is a looker for sure - but for my money - on looks alone - you can't beat the P51

on this one I agree with you 1000% percent. the mustang is perfection.
i can't even think of one single car with such a asthetic perfection.
should be interesting to learn of how "north american" arrived at the design.
form follows function? after all it was meant for war, not asthetics.
the corsair has beauty in it's ugliness.
signature
Ido

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion