modeWizard: Yet Another Mode Calculator but with a twist

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Postby Bob » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:10 pm

The recommended rooms (and tweaks in dimensions) from various calculators do not match.
The day I decided to give up on predictors, was when RPG Optimizer and RPG Room Sizer's results didn't match -- not to themselves, and not to anything elses.
Bob

Postby jonessy » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:44 pm

krasmuzik wrote:....and the ANSWER is 42 - everyone knows that already! :D

Well THAT makes development of acoustic software MUCH easier. LOL
jonessy

Postby Zaphod » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:50 pm

krasmuzik wrote:and the ANSWER is 42 - everyone knows that already! :D

Somehow i perfectly agree  :mrgreen:   :mrgreen:   :mrgreen:
Zaphod

Postby David French » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:03 pm

jonessy wrote:
krasmuzik wrote:....and the ANSWER is 42 - everyone knows that already! :D

Well THAT makes development of acoustic software MUCH easier. LOL

If you get that, then you are a geek.  Yes, I have just admitted that I am a geek, not that this is news.  

Looks like there are geeks all over the world!
David M. French
David French

Postby jonessy » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:34 pm

David French wrote:If you get that, then you are a geek.  Yes, I have just admitted that I am a geek, not that this is news.  

Looks like there are geeks all over the world!

Have you recently seen an acoustical engineer riding a harley-davidson with leather clothing, accompanied by two hardly-clothed-busty-dumb-blondes?
Guess not.
Acoustical engineers are geeks.
This is an acoustics forum.

Geeks CAN be fun, and at some point in time, they get all the pretty and smart girls since they have lots of money.

Well, great fantasy, huh?
:)
jonessy

Postby bert stoltenborg » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:38 pm

Bob wrote:The recommended rooms (and tweaks in dimensions) from various calculators do not match.
The day I decided to give up on predictors, was when RPG Optimizer and RPG Room Sizer's results didn't match -- not to themselves, and not to anything elses.

Computer simulations hardly work.
You can get a fairly accurate result for fe thiele and small parameters.
Things like akabak that try to simulate complex stuff like horns don't work.
Ease, cara, all these other shitty programs don't work for stuff more difficult than direct sound radiation.
Scientists that hardly come in the real world strongly rely on computer simulations, people working in real life know they don't work.
But they make nice pics. Good for presentations to impress guys that don't have to work themselves but that have to be entertained, like managers.
And as the projects where you have to do presentations for managers are best paid, we will continue to make nice pics full of bullshit.
An owner of a small studio doesn't want to see 3-D animations and simulations. He wants to see drawings telling him how to build stuff. But that doesn't pay the large bucks.

Animations telling you about the real world are called South Park, The Simpsons, Family guy, etc.

:D
bert stoltenborg

Postby Savant » Sat May 06, 2006 9:50 pm

I'm a bit late getting here.  Sorry.

Anyway, Mr. Griggs, you are a genius.  Fantastic program, sir.

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
---Σοφός---

10*bLog(P²)

"That buzzing noise means something." - Winnie the Pooh
Savant

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sat May 06, 2006 11:52 pm

Hey Love Cow... mooooooooo.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby jcgriggs23 » Mon May 08, 2006 4:42 pm

Jeff,

I'll second the "mooooooooo" from Scott!

Thanks for the very kind words!!  As I have said, I see modeWizard as a work-in-progress, so I mainly see the pieces that aren't done yet!!  It's nice to know that it is at least complete enough to be useful...

Regards,
   John
jcgriggs23

Postby jonessy » Sat May 27, 2006 11:32 am

John -

Finally found the time to get a closer look and experiment with modeWizard.
I have one word to say to you:

It is B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T!

And I mean that.
It was a little difficult at first to understand the concept, but once I got it - it knocked me off my feet.
I especially liked the "filters" feature, and the functionality of adding\removing them in real time.

Postby jonessy » Sat May 27, 2006 11:34 am

bert stoltenborg wrote:Animations telling you about the real world are called South Park, The Simpsons, Family guy, etc.

American Dad?  :mrgreen:

Postby Ido » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:10 am

John, we've finally played around with your program...  Thank you!

1.  It's a real pleasure to work with. the explanations are clear, the "back" feature is great.

2. What's most important for me is the multiple filters/criteria.
I've always felt the need for a practical overview on the room modes, that is, how bad is it going to be, compared to what, etc.
with this multiple criteria, I get a something of a "feel" for where things stand. and the "multiple" feature is so understandable and easy to use even for a limited goat like me.
This is even before I checked out the multi-room thing.

My partner Ram can't stop playing with it. can you get him to stop  :D ?
(FYI, he's a TEF'er with the acoustic X, so that says something)

the next stage IMO would be an assessment of how given rooms would be, (though I don't know how, maybe in some sort of grading), as compared to the extremes (ideal ratios versus worst ratios)?
this would also take into consideration the actual room volume.

Thanks for this great piece of work which is free for all

I haven't yet looked at Eric's, Bob's Jon's, thanks to you guys too.

Ido
Ido

Postby jcgriggs23 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:44 pm

Ido,

First of all, thanks for the very kind words - knowing that other people are finding the program useful makes all the work of writing it worthwhile (well, as worthwhile as work can get without monetary compensation 8^)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the "grading" mechanism that you suggest - have you looked at the list feature?  It can sort a list of rooms according to most parameters that the program knows how to calculate.  Right now it is a single parameter sort, but I have some ideas about how to implement multi-level sorting (whenever I get a chance to work on the code again)

The other nice thing about the list is that it can handle rooms that are not related by dimension (unlike the map, which deals with rooms inside a contiguous range for the 3 dimensions).  You can add rooms to the list (there is only ever one) from an individual room report or from the map (as you identify rooms you want to look at in more depth) and then use the list to filter, compare and refine the group of candidates.

Anyway, take a look at this feature and see if it won't do what you want.  If it doesn't and you can give me a clearer idea of how your suggestion would operate, I'd be happy to consider it for a future version of the program.

Regards,
  John
jcgriggs23

Postby Ido » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:44 pm

jcgriggs23 wrote:....
Anyway, take a look at this feature and see if it won't do what you want.

will do. indeed I have'nt gone through it all.
what I originally meant was that in many projects, one is "given" room dimensions, often with no possibility for changes.
what would have been nice to know  was that even if you don't fall into fully reccomended ratios, just what is your situation, unbearable? almost unbearable?  semi ok?     I think the planned room volume should have a say in the matter too.
but I'll get through all of your program.

jcgriggs23 wrote:....
 If it doesn't and you can give me a clearer idea of how your suggestion would operate, I'd be happy to consider it for a future version of the program.

Regards,
  John

so my initial thanks to you would result in my causing you to work more?   :bang  :D    :D
sure thing.

seriously, thanks a whole lot.
Ido  (and Ram)
Ido

Postby jcgriggs23 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:39 pm

Ido wrote:
[quote]so my initial thanks to you would result in my causing you to work more?     ':D '    ':D '
sure thing.
[/quote]

Well, I already have plans to add some more functionality to the program but I'll be doing the work in my own time, so there's no need to feel guilty about it 8^)  I'm happy to consider any suggestion for new features and functions but I make no promises about what will find it's way into the program or when any given feature will be delivered.

As for your idea of comparing a room with "given" dimensions against other "ideal" rooms - you can use the Room Wizard to define the various rooms and add them to the list, where they can all be sorted, filtered and compared against one another.  You'll find that the Room Wizard includes a set of predefined "ideal" ratios from various sources but you can define any room that fits into the calculation limits of the engine either using real measurements for all 3 dimensions or by specifying a base dimension and ratios for the other two sides.  So even if your favourite "ideal" dimensions are not included in the predefined list, you should still be able to use the program to calculate it's properties.

I really advise sitting down with the program and the manual and following along with the "tour" of the program outlined in the document - it points out pretty much all of the program's features.  Once you understand how the pieces fit together, it should be relatively easy to figure out whether it can be applied to any given task or not.

Please keep the comments, questions and suggestions coming!

Regards,
 John
jcgriggs23

Re: modeWizard: Yet Another Mode Calculator but with a twist

Postby DanDan » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:26 pm

A little later.....
John I must compliment you on the ModeWiz. Fabulous. Worth developing further. You could charge money for this.
LOL the ultimate compliment! Seriously though, well done and thank you.
DD
DanDan

Postby jcgriggs23 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:54 pm

DD,

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I actually have an update coded - it adds the ability to save & load files, display some parameters as colours in the Map and List displays and has a few other new features. I promised myself I would add a help system - or at least a manual - before I released the new stuff and that's where I've bogged down (documentation is always the nemesis of software developers 8^)

Cheerz,
John
jcgriggs23

Postby Eric.Desart » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:34 pm

jcgriggs23 wrote:DD,

I promised myself I would add a help system - or at least a manual - before I released the new stuff and that's where I've bogged down (documentation is always the nemesis of software developers 8^)

:mrgreen: Should it help if you promise US rather than yourself? Or does that introduce more delay?
divinely-inspired
Eric.Desart

Postby jcgriggs23 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:09 pm

Not unless you are willing to drop by my house and threaten me from time to time. Otherwise I fear such a promise would have no teeth...

Regards,
John
jcgriggs23

Postby Ido » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:09 pm

yo John G.,
wanted to plant your program on a new computer,
and wanted to be sure if the one is the same old 2006 classic :D , or if there was an update
with the martini feature.
I'm so witty I should join a forum :bang .
thanks John and take care,
Ido
signature
Ido

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion