Studio Construction 3 court Squash Centre

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Studio Construction 3 court Squash Centre

Postby tonymite » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:55 am

Starting from scratch with 3 bare Squash courts as follows:

* Plans are drawn facing North.

* 3 squash courts - Double brick with cavity and 2 inch concrete. Each court is isolated from the other and do not share any floor joists.

* Dimensions: Squash courts approx. 9.7m (L)  x 6.4m (W)  x   5.5 - 6.0m (H)

* Floor: __mm floor boards on floor joists. Floor (joists) raised on stumps.

* Do I soffit mount my main UREI 813a monitors - I have read on Lansing forums it makes a huge positive difference soffit mounting these speakers.

* my main concerns are :

* Line of Sight
* Machine/ Computere Room ( do i need one ?) * I'm trying to squeeze the tape machine on the right behind a sliding door?

Studio furniture and location of Racks ( whether they are behind the engineer, on each side like wings - or sofit mounted into wall ? )
* Future 'surround' implementation - positioning of monitors ??

im thinkin of the office combined with tech room at front - up stairs and where it says tech room - have recriational there ie: table-tennis etc ..
( above anneneties) ... and also kitchen for clients.

the room next to terrace can be lounge TV- internet-playstation etc ...

The air lock below office ( 1st tracking room ) can be used to quickly seat unexpected clients while im in the middle of it - and also a place for them to unload before moving.

What do you guys think about NATURAL LIGHT ?? - I can bring it in as a sky-Light from above ... it can come in from the sides of the false ceilings - so that it is soft and doesn't burn through.

Natural Light = Sound Transmission = money.

* Note - funny shapes not necessary in control room - just an idea

Any comments appreciated.
Attachments
STUDIOoptionC.jpg
(196.19 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
tonymite

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:15 pm

What diffuser units are being considered?
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby gullfo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:29 pm

i think the air lock behind the CR could be better used as part of the reception area - just put in a divider wall to seal off the CR and main room so you have privacy from the reception. you should be able to soffit mount the Urei's since the CR is pretty spacious  just angle them down 5-8° if needed. i'd use glass doors between the CR and live rooms to allow easy access and visibility. definitely put in skylights to add natural light in the live rooms. the CR skylights are optional as you don't want to know what kind of day you're missing while spending countless hours mixing ;-)

gullfo

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:47 pm

CR skylights are optional as you don't want to know what kind of day you're missing while spending countless hours mixing ;-)

:D
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby tonymite » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:32 am

Scott R. Foster wrote:What diffuser units are being considered?

What type do you suggest?
tonymite

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:12 am

Not sure I would suggest any for this situation.  I would treat the corners and first reflection points with braodband absorbers and than stop to listen.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby andrebrito » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:40 pm

CR skylights are optional as you don't want to know what kind of day you're missing while spending countless hours mixing ;-)

If you have mucho money or want to spend all your savings on acoustical products RPG does have some translucid/transparent diffusers/absorbers. They cost a fortune.

haha !   :)
andrebrito

Postby tonymite » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:18 am

andrebrito wrote:

If you have mucho money or want to spend all your savings on acoustical products RPG does have some translucid/transparent diffusers/absorbers. They cost a fortune.

haha !   :)

re: diffusion.
I think I'll take the DIY route.

any links you guys suggest?
tonymite

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:11 pm

Just bend a sheet of thin flexible material such as plywood.  Get some nice veneer wood if you want to make em fancy.

http://www.onlyone-pro.com/tennage/woods.html

Place a patch of absorptive material in the hollow of the device to insure against undue/unwanted resonances.
Attachments
d-2.jpg
d-2.jpg (174.76 KiB) Viewed 7951 times
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:12 pm

That Icewood is cool eh?
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby tonymite » Thu May 08, 2008 12:58 pm

please comment on latest revision and check out upstairs post-production room and ISO booth - does it make sense ?
Attachments
STUDIOoptionD.jpg
(165.72 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Last edited by tonymite on Mon May 12, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonymite

Postby tonymite » Mon May 12, 2008 4:11 pm

here we have added segments in hallway and wings to console.

ALSO - is there a rule on how far my soffit mounted UREI 813 monitors should be from the outer wall? - ie: can I push the room back further? I have approx 1100 mm between the central front position ( where you'd place your centre monitor /plasma ) and the outer shell. ( see in red ).

Any +/- 've comments to any of these?
Attachments
STUDIOoptionD cotrolroomm.JPG
STUDIOoptionD cotrolroomm.JPG (69.03 KiB) Viewed 7710 times
STUDIOoptionD.jpg
STUDIOoptionD.jpg (108.19 KiB) Viewed 7708 times
tonymite

Postby tonymite » Sun May 25, 2008 3:02 pm

Can I push my room back further?
This will allow me some room to angle the tape machine around so that I can view the VU meters alot easier.
Is there a REASON to leave that much room behind the soffit mounted UREI main monitors?
tonymite

Postby tonymite » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:48 pm

Can anyone comment on whether they think there'l be major differences in the way I line my ceilings.
The cheaper and easier option is to line the existing rafters with particle board then dense plaster board ( after filling with dense ridgid insulation).
Then I could suspend a 'false' ceiling beneath - I'm not sure whether to make that false ceiling out of an insulation filled frame with fabric stretched across ( like a broad band absorber ) - or - have it made of a more ridgid material like plaster board ( maybe 2 layers so it doesn't rattle ).

Any coments appreciated.
Attachments
STUDIOoptionD_sectionA.jpg
(187.89 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
STUDIOoptionD_sectionB.jpg
(215.04 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
tonymite

Postby Scott R. Foster » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:12 pm

...after filling with dense ridgid insulation

Why not use cheap roll insulation?
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby tonymite » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:41 pm

75 mm 32.5  kg /m3  RockWool is what I'll be using ( For SoundProofing - not to treat the inner room for acoustics ) it's cheap enough.

I think I'll lay the Rockwool Batts ontop of the PArticleBoard+Plasterboard  inner ceiling  - to dampen any rattles.
tonymite

Postby tonymite » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:47 pm

I'm looking at raising the bearers sitting beneath the floor joists onto industrial rubber ( escalator hand rail ) to de-couple the floor from the brick piers which are attatched to the brick wall.

I'll probably put the same rubber beneath the plate ( beneath each stud ) for the inner walls.

Is there anything else I'd have to consider doing this?

The 3 rooms are independant of EACH OTHER - BUT - the floor is still sitting on Floor Joists, which are sitting on bearers, sitting on piers connected to the wall.

The floor boards at the moment are still touching the wall at the perimiter. So first, I'll have to cut around the perimiter so the vibrations off the floor do not transmit to the wall - Hence the rubber isolation of bearers from the piers.

This is the only option I have other than pulling out a perfectly good floor and pouring an expensive concrete slab.

- NOW is the time to do my reaserch and at the moment I'm getting 3 conflicting oppinions.

One guy at Regupol

http://www.regupol.com.au/

the rubber people, told me that escalator handrail rubber would be fine

but

the next guyat Regupol said that escalator handrail rubber was too hard and didnt have enough " deflection" & tha my 19 mm floor is not enough to stop sound travelling through the brick wall ( even beneath the floor ) and that I would have to build a floating floor ontop - at least the middle court ( control room ). According to him - floating the bearers would do nothing for me.
* He may not have realised that I was to retain th " C" shape of the handrail to provide some " flex " or " deflection " ( see attatchment ).

I'm thinking of just cutting around the perimiter of the floor so the floorboards are not touching the brick wall - and maybe NOT worry about raising the bearers onto rubber ??

It's ALOT of work raising those bearers - but NOW's the time to do it -- BEFORE I build the room within. I don't want to be repating mistakes. This sort of effort could be better spent in floating the middle court/room ( control room).

Re: HVAC, I'll have 3 seperate industrial over rated ducted units ( 1 for each room ).

Capacity:
Cooling Btu/W 48000/14070
Heating Btu/W 52000/15400

Airflow m3/h 2880
Noise Indoor dB(A) 57
Outdoor dB(A) 78

http://www.domainair.com.au/browse.php? ... tegoryID=5

HVAC silencers and clever ducting & louvers for tuning should make the unit even quieter. Since it's over-rated, I won't need to run it at full throttle.

On one end of the scale I have people telling me to leave floor as is - whilst others are telling me to go all out.

All this effort on the floor while I'm punching a 2.2 x 2.4 m window either side kind of makes me wonder ??
Attachments
escalaor rubber.jpg
escalaor rubber.jpg (42.34 KiB) Viewed 7368 times
ex_handball_wall_210_wpierrubber_397.jpg
ex_handball_wall_210_wpierrubber_397.jpg (42.54 KiB) Viewed 7362 times
tonymite

UREI mains on Stands in Baffle.JPG

Postby tonymite » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:49 pm

Is there any reason why I couldn't build a baffle but still have my Main monitors on stands ?? ( see attatchment )

This way I still have the ' cool ' funny shape - it allows for fine tuning and fine movement AND I won't need to tear the wall down when I find the next set of monitors I don't need to upgrade to.

What do you think??
Attachments
UREI mains on Stands in Baffle.JPG
UREI mains on Stands in Baffle.JPG (57.69 KiB) Viewed 7361 times
tonymite

Postby gullfo » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:51 pm

you could build the baffles for the purposes of bass trapping and shaping, as well as storage closets etc. and put the monitors on stands. as far as hvac - i'd get properly rated variable speed units so it can be set up to run continuously at low speed w/ the right flow rate so you're not cycling too much, creating humidity variations, and saving power...
gullfo

Floor Resonance

Postby tonymite » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:09 am

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject:      

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attatched is PDF of Regupol specs. including deflection - Even though it looks as thoughI'm NOT going to touch it ( will not be raising bearers onto any rubber ).

My issue now is the slight ' hollow ' sound I get when I stomp on the floor.

The floor is sturdy as the floor joists are 450 mm apart on concrete stumps.

The fact that it's raised approx 400 mm off the ground allows for a hollow type resonance - nothing major... but still there none the less.

Will this pose any problems?
Will this hollowness become part of my room sound?
Will it be acentuated and transmited to the mic via the mic stands on the floor ?
I don't think it''l be a problem other than drums.
Could it even add to the drum sound - like make it sound bigger ??
A drum riser could also be the go - no ?
Attachments
BSW Green Vibration.pdf
(249.62 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
tonymite

Next

Return to Discussion