Guitar broke

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Guitar broke

Postby Bob » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:45 pm

The bridge fell off my classical acoustic guitar. Probably a combination of too dry and too much tension.

I glued it back on, but it looks like that's not going to hold. Today I noticed the entire face of the guitar flexing under the bridge, that it had opened up a crack under where the bridge sits, and that the bridge mount was stretching the glue I put on yesterday -- perhaps I should have left it for a week to dry, instead of just 24 hours. The stretch means it won't hold a tuning for more than a few minutes, and it looks like it's going to fall off soon, so my 35 year old acoustic guitar is going to have to be replaced I think.

I've always tuned by ear, but to get the tension correct, I tried a shareware program called "AP Tuner 3.06"
from here http://download.cnet.com/3001-20_4-10342381.htm
It works with your computer's microphone.
It has a rough frequency scale on the right which you use to get close to your note, and then use the big middle needle to get it to the correct frequency. After using this to get the approximate notes, I went through and tuned by ear. The software was very easy to use. I don't know how long the free evaluation period is.
Regards
Bob Golds
"The only thing we regret in life is the love we failed to give."
"Be a rapturist -- the backward of a terrorist. Commit random acts of senseless kindness, whenever possible" - Jake Stonebender
Bob

Re: Guitar broke

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:50 pm

I been using AP Tuner for years - I really should register and send that fellow a couple of bucks.

You should get one of these...

http://www.deanguitars.com/bnds_v1/custom_zone_fp.htm
cspink.gif
cspink.gif (14.32 KiB) Viewed 7392 times

I am buying one for my daughter [and loaning her a Mesa single fifty recto-verb] if she keeps up on her lessons [she currently using my Gibson Montana to try learn to play]. Maybe she will paint yousr up with a Hello Kitty motif - Im going to get her to do this to one of my basses. Kinda like this... 'cept different.

http://www.glamguns.com/hk47.html
hk47.jpg
hk47.jpg (61.6 KiB) Viewed 7396 times
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Bob » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:46 pm

Scott R. Foster wrote:I been using AP Tuner for years

I tried a couple others first -- but they were unusable.

www.glamguns.com

"NOTE: This site is a parody for humor purposes only. No actual weapons may be bought on this site. "

You should get one of these
A bit of a jump from "classical guitar" to electric I think. I don't even have an amp. I like the sound of clasical. At the moment, mine doesn't make much of a sound at all. Looks good though -- even with really loose strings.
Bob

Postby BIG8 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:16 am

How 'good' was the guitar?

If you can get it around to a good luthier, should be easy to fix.

Beijing is one of the driest city in the world, and we've had many 'great' Spanish guitars cracking, snapping, glue letting go, etc... all kinds of disasters occur.

Guitars were sent to Spain for renovation and were fixed with no traces of what happened.

The value of the guitar should warrant the renovation/fixing price, though, luthiers aren't cheap...

Cheers,
Jean
Hovannes Setrak ISMIRLIAN
Viva checking your mixes outside the mixing room! :D
BIG8

Postby Bob » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:51 am

BIG8 wrote:How 'good' was the guitar?

That's actually two questions, so I'll answer them both.

Price/Quality: It was probably a $40 sears special. Probably an equivilent guitar today would be about $150. The label inside says "Diastone model TG-300 Japan". Back and sides mohogany, front cedar. It weighs 4 pounds.

Condition: There are no scratches or scuffs or other damaged parts. It looks new. It works like new.
(The case's handle is broken -- but that's what the case is for, to take the damage instead of the guitar)

My current plan is to wait a week and see if the glue firms up. There's a bit of separation, a mm, between the face and the back of the bridge, so I have limited hope this will be successful.
If that fails, then I'll consider removing it myself and reattaching it (sanding, regluing, possibly with wooden pegs, and leaving it clamped for two weeks). I'm not entirely sure how to get it off in such a way that it'll be reattachable).
Another possibility is buying a new guitar, possibly the Ibanez G850 Classical Guitar from that store, and donating the broken guitar to the music store in case they can fix/recycle it -- or at least asking their advice/recommendation.
Bob

Postby BIG8 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:05 am

At this price range, it is worth trying a DIY approach or going for a trade-in, but depends...

...Price is very deceptive. I've come across great guitars which were purchased 40-60US$ some 20 years back, and have aged very well developing wonderful tonality.

The Ibanez G850 looks pretty decent. Do you have a place where you could try them before purchasing?

Cheers,
Jean
BIG8

Postby Bob » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:26 am

BIG8 wrote:The Ibanez G850 looks pretty decent. Do you have a place where you could try them before purchasing?

Although I linked to their website, they actually have a fairly large store with instruments in it that I've been to before.
It's my hope to be able to try out that model at the store before purchase.
In any event, I'd be buying from the bricks&mortar store, and not from the website.
As for "do they have that model on the floor" I have no idea.

My prior trip to that store were for a microphone stand, and the strings that are on this guitar, a few years back.
Bob

Postby BIG8 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:41 am

Keep us posted :D

Cheers,
Jean
BIG8

Postby Scott R. Foster » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:24 pm

Well at least get ya one of them electrified acoustics so you hook it up to a wah probe!

http://media.zvex.com/FLASH/WAHPROBE/
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby BIG8 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:53 pm

Scott R. Foster wrote:Well at least get ya one of them electrified acoustics so you hook it up to a wah probe!

http://media.zvex.com/FLASH/WAHPROBE/

LoL! :lol: I would luv to hear this wah effect on nylon strings!

Cheers,
Jean
BIG8

Postby Scott R. Foster » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:02 pm

SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Scott R. Foster » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:05 pm

SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby BIG8 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:45 am

so is it common practice to hook up a classical guitar with mic pick-up to a WAH fx box?? 8O

Cheers,
Jean
BIG8

Postby Scott R. Foster » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:13 pm

It aint a guitar with a "mic" - according to the jargon its a guitar with a "pickup" and an on-board preamp yielding an instrument output - so you plug into a guitar amp and play just like rock star. All kinds of "acoustic" instruments now have pickup - preamp systems and instrument outputs [I have a 4-string bass like this].

AEB10ENT.gif
AEB10ENT.gif (42.59 KiB) Viewed 7276 times

Folks use the entire gamut of guitar effects on such instruments - including distortion pedals and even wah! They even make amps designed specifically for such acoustic/electric guitars some with built in DSP.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c980--Acoustic_Guitar_Amps

Some of the pickup systems built into the instruments are simple [just a guitar cord jack and maybe a couple of EQ knobs/faders] - but some are quite sophisticated with all kinds of crazy stuff [guitar tuner - compression/limiter - parametric EQ - balanced DI output - ability to use phantom power to obviate the need for an on-board battery - even Hex pickups so you can drive a synth] - examples here:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmultintrop.htm
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:22 am

It's been a week. (might be only 6 days, oh oh)
I tightened them up. It seems to be holding tune.
I'll let you know tomorrow.
Bob

Postby BIG8 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:24 am

Scott,

thanks for the info, didn't know all that, guess I was 'too conservative' :lol:

Will experiment.

Bob,

Great! go easy on it, no appoyandos for a while :D

Cheers,
Jean
BIG8

Postby Scott R. Foster » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:08 pm

Jean

If you want to play around a bit there are units that can be added to an acoustic you already have... some of them just clip or glue in place and some are pretty cheap - so experimenting would not have to be a big investment in time or cash or permanent changes to the instrument.

p15060b-929936c9aba3a2274eda250c8cbabb91.jpg
p15060b-929936c9aba3a2274eda250c8cbabb91.jpg (28.27 KiB) Viewed 7236 times

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Acoustic-Gu ... kups--2569

Such a rig is not as nice as setting up the right mics in a studio but is much more practical for stage work and it does open up some interesting possibilities not otherwise available to hillbilly gitfiddlers [like a wah probe for example]. :D
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Scott R. Foster » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:10 pm

Bob

You realize of course that due to your lack of pic posting you have not actually repaired your guitar... if you even have a guitar.

8O
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:01 pm

Scott R. Foster wrote:You realize of course that due to your lack of pic posting you have not actually repaired your guitar... if you even have a guitar.

It's been over a year since I've played for more than a few minutes.
Today, the first three fingers of my left hand ache -- no callus. And I type for a living!

Hey moderator dude: why can't I edit my old posts?
Bob

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:27 am

I think Dan has it on a timer... or something... let me know if its an emergency and I'll post your edits
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Next

Return to Discussion