impact noise from floor below

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

impact noise from floor below

Postby qqson » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:07 pm

pls advise how to use a combination of MLV, greenglue, gypsum board, etc to make a soundblocking floor in my bedroom.

i could only do my floor not ceiling below. my floor and ceiling below are all concrete about 12"~18". my neighbor below will hit the ceiling directly or indirectly strongly at night. The noise may be 100db. how to reduce to less than 30db or smaller?
qqson

Re: impact noise from floor below

Postby Scott R. Foster » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:59 pm

Getting satisfaction at the levels you desire [-70 dB] through construction of a new floor is unlikely, so I would suggest you visit the neighbor in question at about four-o-clock in the morning with a baseball bat on your shoulder - bang on his front door at about 100 dB until he answered - and then politely inquire if he would like to step outside and join you in a game of "frog baseball" as you are having trouble getting to sleep and you read on an acoustics web forum that knocking his head around for a few minutes might help. :bang

Though some might prefer getting ear plugs to my more direct approach of achieving noise isolation at the source, I believe getting all parties involved in the effort and focused on the goal is more likely to bring success.

My $0.02
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby qqson » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:44 pm

thanks for your quick reply.

100db is infrequent. most often is 70db. I hope to install soundproofing material together with ear plug to get a good sleep.
qqson

Postby avare » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:22 pm

My suspicion is sound flanking. 8" of concrete provides a lot of sound isolation.

Andre
avare

Postby BIG8 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:34 pm

how does he hit the ceiling directly? :roll: trampoline? :lol:
Hovannes Setrak ISMIRLIAN
Viva checking your mixes outside the mixing room! :D
BIG8

Postby Terry Montlick » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:49 am

If this is really impact noise on your floor from below, offer to carpet his ceiling for free.
Terry Montlick Labs
Tweeters tweaked. Woofers neutered.
Terry Montlick

Postby Eric.Desart » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:46 pm

qqson wrote:pls advise how to use a combination of MLV, greenglue, gypsum board, etc to make a soundblocking floor in my bedroom.

i could only do my floor not ceiling below. my floor and ceiling below are all concrete about 12"~18". my neighbor below will hit the ceiling directly or indirectly strongly at night. The noise may be 100db. how to reduce to less than 30db or smaller?

The first thing to do is TALKING TO and WITH that neighbor. Maybe he even isn't aware about what's happening.
First understand or try to, what causes this.

:wink: Here and I do believe also over there (wherever over there is), people don't walk and live on their ceiling (that's a matter of gravity I believe).
And if that guy is just crazy (or just don't like the noises you make in your bed with your girlfriend) and talking isn't a solution, call the police, the landlord, the environmental or whichever department of your community, or whoever there is to call wherever you live.
There are rules and regulations, and somewhere someone is responsible to uphold these rules, whichever apply here.
divinely-inspired
Eric.Desart

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:14 pm

frog baseball has no rules!
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Eric.Desart » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:34 pm

Eric.Desart wrote:There are rules and regulations, and somewhere someone is responsible to uphold these rules, whichever apply here.
Scott R. Foster wrote:frog baseball has no rules!

:wink: And pray that your neighbor doesn't resemble Scott ..... Otherwise: move ....
divinely-inspired
Eric.Desart

Return to Discussion