Do L / W / H modes "occupy" boundaries differently?

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Do L / W / H modes "occupy" boundaries differently?

Postby brucemck2 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:17 pm

A question that I am certain belies my ignorance ...

If I want to absorb my Length modes with Superchunks, and have only one wall boundary available, does it matter which one I select? For example, would a 56hz length mode (from a 20' length room) be more effectively absorbed along a Wall/Wall boundary (along, say, the length of the left wall and the rear wall junction), or, the Wall/Ceiling boundary (along, say, the length of the rear wall, stretching from the left wall to the right wall at the rear wall and ceiling juncture), or, at some other point? (Assuming for simplicity that each option had the same length/surface.)

Or, does it not make any difference given a trap of equal surface area or length, because all modes pressurize all boundaries essentially the same way?

Put differently, do "Length modes" pressurize particular room boundaries any differently than do "Width modes" or "Height modes"?
brucemck2

Re: Do L / W / H modes "occupy" boundaries differently?

Postby bert stoltenborg » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:38 pm

no. try the position where you can put the most absorption.
To tame these low freq's you need loads of absorption.
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Re: Do L / W / H modes "occupy" boundaries differently?

Postby brucemck2 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:46 pm

Good ... that helps ...

A related question ...

Suppose I was only able to treat one rear wall (along the left wall rear wall juncture) and the ceiling along the two lengths

Would the single rear wall "degrade" stereo imaging? (I am assuming "No.") Would the answer be different if it were the wall directly behind the speakers rather than behind the listener? (I am assuming "Yes.")
brucemck2

Return to Discussion