Superchunk Size and Symmetry Questions

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Superchunk Size and Symmetry Questions

Postby Sky Blue Lou » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi all. First post.

I'm creating a space. Nothing "pro" here, just a listening, tracking, mixing room for me. As I develop my ideas I will provide more details but I don't want to get sidetracked or overwhelmed so I want to start with some basic concepts. If these particular questions have been asked before - my apologies. I've used the search function here and elsewhere and just can't seem to resolve my questions. This will be a DIY project and the intent is floor to ceiling traps.

The standard face size for superchunk traps is 24" or 34". These require "legs" of 17" or 24". Two of my corners (diagonally opposite) cannot accomodate that size. 12" "legs" is about all I can do. Would that reduce the volume of the trap to the point of ineffectiveness?

RELATED QUESTIONS - Dependent on answers I guess.

Could they be made asymmetric (non-isosceles) to increase material and space volume or is the 45 degree angle facing the room critical?

How about 12" square "blocks"? This would double the volume of material and space but the faces would be parallel and perpendicular to all walls. Again is the orientation of the face important?

How about smaller in the two obstructed corners and full size in the other two? Is treatment symmetry that critical - will it throw the left/right balance at the mix position off?

Again if these questions have been dealt with before I apologize. Point me at 'em. I'm just chasing thoughts around trying to understand concepts and approaches before I spend money on materials. I've been doing a lot of reading and have answered most of the simple stuff for myself - I think.

Thanks to all who jump in.

lou
Sky Blue Lou

Re: Superchunk Size and Symmetry Questions

Postby Scott R. Foster » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:05 am

Symmetry is very nice IMO but most folks have rooms where it aint possible and get by just fine - Bert doesn't care a flip for symmetry and he does alright. :8

The smaller 12" sizes you mention would still be beneficial - but the bigger standard sizes would be better where ever you can fit them in. The blocks you mention would work - if that is a practical fit for the room. You might explore some ceiling / wall corners is search of a way to fit bigger chunks into the room.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Sky Blue Lou » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:08 pm

Thank you, Scott. Just the sort of info I'm looking for in the planning stages. Very helpful.

lou
Sky Blue Lou

Postby jcgriggs23 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:01 pm

Lou,

I would not be that worried about the shape of the Superchunks, but I would try to maintain as much symmetry in the from of a mixing room (between your ears and the wall behind your monitors - or the monitors themselves if they are flush mounted) as you can. Symmetry behind the listening position is less important. And, as Scott pointed out, there are situations where symmetry is impossible and people still get good work done...

I've made "mini chunks" - faced with rigid fibre (rock fibre in my case) but filled with less dense stuff - in both the standard diagonal design and using unfaced pipe insulation (so that the 'chunk looks like a massive quarter round) and subjectively (I haven't made measurements) they were both effective. This seems similar to your idea of a squared design, so I would predict that square chunks will work fine. I would not expect a large amount of reflection from the chunks, so I doubt that I'd worry if the chunk faces were parallel to any walls, etc.

My $0.02 (Canadian Tire),
John
jcgriggs23

Postby Sky Blue Lou » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Thanks, John.

lou
Sky Blue Lou

Return to Discussion