Home Theatre shape (concave hexagon)

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Home Theatre shape (concave hexagon)

Postby croshadow » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Hello I've read in the past few weeks alot of articles regarding room acoustics but they mostly cover square/rectangular shaped rooms only, but as can be seen by the title mine is shaped as a concave hexagon. Here's a poorly drawn picture from paint. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/podrum.png/ (I made a slight mistake in lenght of one of the walls, and btw lenght is in meters)

I also plan to use my front speakers which are quite bit better then the rest of the speakers to listen to music from my iPod (AV receiver has iPod dock).
My main concern is room acoustics for my music listening but I'd also like to know how my 7.1 system will work when watching movies.
I listen generally to house music so I mainly want to know how bass will perform (room is isolated with knauf with ceiling being isolated with some kinda special 'acoustic' knauf).

I heard (relatively) small rooms have problems with bass performance so that is partially why I'm asking this.
croshadow

Re: Home Theatre shape (concave hexagon)

Postby Scott R. Foster » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:15 pm

What exactly is the question?
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby croshadow » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 am

Well the question is room's expected performance in general and more specificly when it comes to heavy-bass music.
croshadow

Postby Scott R. Foster » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:58 pm

How tall are the ceilings?
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby croshadow » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:00 pm

After isolations its cca 7.5 feet tall
croshadow

Postby Scott R. Foster » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:11 pm

Pretty small room for loud and low... you should fill the corners up with mineral fiber wedges and also spread a few thick panels around the walls and ceilings. That will help but its still a small room and will suffer all the disadvantages especially at high volumes even if you do treat it. Got a bigger room?
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby croshadow » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:39 am

Scott R. Foster wrote:Pretty small room for loud and low... you should fill the corners up with mineral fiber wedges and also spread a few thick panels around the walls and ceilings. That will help but its still a small room and will suffer all the disadvantages especially at high volumes even if you do treat it. Got a bigger room?

Unfortunately no. This room is a done deal already because like I said all of it's walls have been isolated already. Here are a few things I forgot to mention that may be worth noting.
Walls aren't all flat and atleast half have some kind of bumps so I hope that will help. Also we'll have thick wool carpet and there'll be a thick curtain on the wall opposite of front speakers.
Now to get to those mineral wedges. Are they supposed to act as 'Bass traps'? I found article on this website about them viewtopic.php?t=535

And which exacly disadvantages can I expect when playing loud bass-heavy music in such a small room? I've heard of several things but many website seem to be contradictory for example some say that lowest frequencie you can hear inside of room is dependant on the lenght of the room because of low frequencie sound waves having long wave lenghts while other say you can hear them but they won't resonate thus you can't hear the 'booms' stuff that makes bass listening enjoyable. I've also read that sound/noise builds up in the corners and music becomes much louder and listening becomes fatiguing, aka bass isn't clear.

So what can I expect?
Last edited by croshadow on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
croshadow

Postby bert stoltenborg » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:55 pm

You can hear bass in a small room, or you wouldn't hear much when using headphones.
When waves are bigger than the room, you get a pressure model.
When the waves equal the roon dimensions you can get the phenomenon you are probably reffering to: standing waves.
You get areas where these waves add or nullify and everything in between making it important to get the right spots forspeakerplacement and listening position. And then you could use some treatment.
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Postby Scott R. Foster » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Yep put in a some corner wedges and hang a few 100mm thick ceiling and wall panels. This will help smooth out the reverberant sound around the room.

But first install the system and give it a listen. If it sounds great and you are happy - then just be happy.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby jcgriggs23 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:28 pm

7.5 feet is not much clearance for ceiling treatments. Start by eliminating tri-corners (where 3 surfaces - typically 2 walls and either the ceiling or floor - meet) as this will give you the best chance of treating low frequencies. Start with broadband treatments and stay away from narrow-band devices until treating specific problems left over after broadband treatments are applied. Read the FAQ. Listen (and, if possible, measure) after each major change to guage the effect and to re-establish which problems remain to be dealt with. Be prepared for the possibility of having to take a couple of shots at this to make it acceptable.

Best of luck!

- John
jcgriggs23

Postby aksharaajith » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:05 pm

I think acoustic panels for walls would help you. When acoustic panels for walls are applied, the reflection in the center of the room is good. Because this allows the sound to travel through the center of the classroom to the perimeter and then get absorbed.
aksharaajith

Return to Discussion