Cheap Lighting Options?

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Cheap Lighting Options?

Postby Suntower » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:03 pm

Howdy. Hope ya all well.

I'm converting a couple of other bedrooms to tracking spaces.

I'm going to start by basically just ripping out carpeting (oak floor underneath), then hanging a ceiling 'cloud' of 4" 703 I have left over from my last room.

The thing is that, since it's a typical bedroom, the only light is the fixture dead center where the cloud goes. So, in typical cheap bastard fashion, I"m looking for some options for room lighting which are:
a) CHEAP
b) easy to install... no cutting or drilling into walls/ceiling allowed!
c) non-glarey
d) Provides enough light to actually read music with... none of this 'romantic mood lighting' like I used to see in tracking rooms. Hate that---gotta be able to read a score without stand lights.

I've seen various track lighting and it's either expensive, 3rd Degree Interrogation bright or requires real 'installation commitment'.

Ideally, what I'd like is some sort of pre-built track system I can hang with 3-4 screws on either side of the room and plug in with a cord into the ceiling outlet... and that costs about $10 (only a slight exaggeration.)

Got anything like that?

TIA!

---JC
Suntower

Re: Cheap Lighting Options?

Postby Scott R. Foster » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:36 pm

Get a 5m roll of this stuff and a 3 power supply units... cut three 1.66 meter sections out of the roll and peel and stick them to the bottom of three lengths of 1x - solder 12v DC power supply leads to the one end of the strip and hang from or attach to the ceiling spaced across the room. Very bright, easy to install/move, high efficiency, no noise. You could light a small room up like a surgical theater for less than $200 including light strips, power supplies, and parts for DIY fixtures/wiring. For adjustable levels build a dual switch assembly so you can run just one or all three.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo ... Strip/998/
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Suntower » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:25 pm

Schweet.

These -would- be good for surgery... where you're looking down @ some poor guy's guys. But I need to be able to look across @ music stands. :D

I guess what I need is some sort of 'lighting guide for dummies'.

If you look @ the applications for these LEDs, they tend to be under counter and other very indirect 'halo' type things---not exactly work lighting. The great thing about a simple incandescent light is that it's easy on the eye. I can't figure out how to place these things so that one can read without being blinded.

It's a serious thing for me---I have -very- poor vision, I need to be able to read scores while playing and if the light ain't pleasant, I'm screwed.

Most pro studios these days seem to be lit like a medieval church... it's supposed to be cool, but it drives me nuts. Maybe I could make like frosted plastic covers...

Sorry. Rambling.

Cheers,

---JC
Suntower

Postby Scott R. Foster » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:57 am

you'll be able to read.. trust me.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby myles » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi guys, long time no post!

Scott's LED strip suggestion is really helpful to me. I'm in the middle of building a small second studio, and I want to run LED strips on the top edge of a couple of clouds to give some indirect lighting off the ceiling to the space. Should I have any concerns about heat? How far away from the ceiling would be a safe distance (if there is any heat problem)?

I think I've seen this done by someone here - anyone remember seeing that?

Here are a couple of rough sketches of what I was thinking of:

myles

Postby bert stoltenborg » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:44 pm

And when the studio doesn't attrack people anymore just start a whorehouse!
:mrgreen: Ido loves this one, I'm sure!
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Postby myles » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:55 pm

bert stoltenborg wrote:And when the studio doesn't attrack people anymore just start a whorehouse!
:mrgreen: Ido loves this one, I'm sure!

So, I'm out for dinner with my wife on Saturday night. I had put my phone on the table (bad, I know), been ignoring it. Then a message pops up as a reply to my post... I say "Oh, great! Excuse me just a minute, I really need to see this!"

She thought your suggestion was great, Bert! :mrgreen: :bang :mrgreen:
myles

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:52 am

no worries on heat from the lights - the power supplies have some though... get some of the units and play a round a bit... you get an amazing amount of light from a tiny part and a very small amount of current.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby myles » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:38 am

Scott R. Foster wrote:no worries on heat from the lights - the power supplies have some though... get some of the units and play a round a bit... you get an amazing amount of light from a tiny part and a very small amount of current.

Thanks, Scott. I was looking at these things and they draw almost no current, like you say, so I figured heat wouldn't be an issue. Pretty amazing!
myles

Return to Discussion