Acoustics in Domestic Enviroments

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Acoustics in Domestic Enviroments

Postby jcgwakefield » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi there,

I am completely new to acoustics and know nothing about them, but wondered if any folks out there could give me some advice. I have no interest in building a sound studio but am interested in the way acoustics work in, shall we say, a domestic space.
I've spent a lot of time struggling to hear what people are saying in all sorts of spaces, domestic and commercial, due to in my opinion bad acoustics with sound bouncing of hard surfaces and being turned into random noise that seems to pierce my ear drums all at the same frequency.
Then just the other day I stood in the empty Churchill Theater in Bromley and was completely enchanted by what I can only call near perfect acoustics. Now I know theaters and concert venues are specifically designed to work this way, but I would like to know more about the...architecture of sound, what tricks and techniques can be applied to create this 'Perfect acoustics.'
I am hoping to own my own flat/apartment soon and would be interested to know what I could do here to create perfect acoustics, as I 'm intrigued to know how varying degrees of acoustic quality effect the sensation of being in a space.

A friend of mine told me you can actually get devices that will dampen sound in a room, and you can actually dampen sound too much so it can be as stranger and frustrating a sensation as have noise bouncing all those stylish hard furnishings you have that make your home look great but sound like an echo chamber!

If anyone can direct me to threads/books/resources of just general know how I would actually love to understand more about this and incorporate good acoustics into my home design. I'm not looking to play loud thumping music I would actually like to attain...a kind of acoustic nervana.

Thanks in advance.
jcgwakefield

Re: Acoustics in Domestic Enviroments

Postby Scott R. Foster » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:10 am

i will leave it to others to suggest a reading list for aesthetics acoustics and will instead suggest you pick a room of some decent size and play around with changing the reverb time / RT60 / how live the room is - to find your subjective acoustic nirvana.

I am sure reading will help you in many ways but there is no substitute to act of tweaking a room to suit ones ear.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Re: Acoustics in Domestic Enviroments

Postby DanDan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Acoustic treatment and domestic aesthetics may be somewhat at odds with each other.
Take a look at the commercial traps at GIK, RealTraps, Universal etc. etc.
I have noticed repeatedly that I liked the sound of rooms with acoustically absorbent ceilings.
Personally I would love to and hope to incorporate Acoustic Plaster into my own or a client's room sometime.
http://www.sto.co.uk/19363_EN-Sto_UK-Interiors.htm
http://www.oscar-acoustics.co.uk/acoust ... -elite.asp
DD
DanDan

Return to Discussion