Help with sound isolation in rented house

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Help with sound isolation in rented house

Postby deremetalica » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi everybody!

Recently I rented a house and want to make my studio in one of the rooms. I have neighbors in only one side of the house (the one i want to make the studio).
I would like to know if you have any recommendations, low budget, in sound isolation, so I don't bother neighbors. I dont want to make really expensive alterations because its not my house.
The room is a small room, but with really high walls, and has a Wall Closet with wood doors.

I'm considering buildiing a wooden frame a few inches away from the brick wall and filling it with rockwool, then screwing drywall panels onto this faux wall. Assuming my method is correct, I have a few questions.

1) Would this work/make any difference?
2) Would I need to seal all around this faux wall?
3) What is the ideal depth for significant Sound transmission reduction?

Thanks in advance
deremetalica

Re: Help with sound isolation in rented house

Postby bert stoltenborg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:26 pm

What are you gonna do there?
Recording drums or voice-over, or what?
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Postby deremetalica » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:35 pm

I´m gonna make tracks and dj there.
deremetalica

Postby bert stoltenborg » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:37 am

Building a new wall in front of an existing construction will make a difference, depending on mass of them both, airgap and the fact if the existing construction is sinbgle or multi leaf.

For the rest you have to consider flanking sound transmission as your house seems to be physically attached to the neighbours house.
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Return to Discussion