Auralex RC-8 over existing drywall?

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Auralex RC-8 over existing drywall?

Postby Jbbeaubeaux » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:30 pm

Does using Auralex RC-8 over existing drywall to attach another layer of new drywall create a third leaf effect?

Would it be better to remove the existing drywall, install the RC-8 on the studs and then new drywall?
Jbbeaubeaux

Re: Auralex RC-8 over existing drywall?

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:03 am

yes and yes - but is it worth the trouble? Depends on the characteristics of the existing wall [what's on the other side / what kind of studs and their spacing / is the interior insulated / what is the thickness of the drywall you have / et cetera] and your goals.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Jbbeaubeaux » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:25 pm

Scott,

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

My wife's Voice Over business is growing so I am moving her studio into a 4.5' x 4.5' walk in closet.

The closet is in the center of the house, with bedrooms and bathrooms surrounding it.

The main source of noise is a tenant below who occasionally plays musical instruments. When he plays it is as if he is in the closet, sound right up through the floor.

I am planning to build a floating floor on top of Auralex U-boats using 2 x 6 joists 16 oc, regular insulation between, then 3/4" plywood, a layer of Auralex SheetBlok, and then 3/4" MDF, then thick carpet padding, then berber carpet. I hope that helps cut most of the voice from below.

The four walls are your typical interior 2 x 4s 16oc, no insulation with probably 1/2" drywall.

I have Auralex RC-8 that I want to use but my research indicated if I put the RC-8 on top of the existing drywall I would create a third leaf.

Here is my plan. Do a good job on the walls, with no stupid mistakes, and see what we hear from outside sounds. If we don't like it, I want to be able to add either a layer of SheetBlok and a another layer of drywall.

My biggest fear is I make a mistake by leaving the existing drywall, put the RC-8 on top of that drywall then attach drywall to that and I create an impossible problem that no amount of additional treatment can fix.

Does all this make sense?

Thanks!

Jim
Jbbeaubeaux

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Room in room only makes sense when you improve all the partitions - given you plan a floating floor I'd guess a redo on the walls / ceiling / door are in order. Rip it all out IMO.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Jbbeaubeaux » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:55 pm

Scott,

Thanks!

I think I will remove the old drywall and attach the RC-8 directly to the wood studs.

One last question (maybe).

I am toying between attaching to the RC-8 either QuietRock 510 drywall all by itself, or layering 5/8" type X drywall, then SheetBlok, then 1/2" type X drywall.

Or the other option and use green glue instead of the SheetBlok between the two layers of drywall.

Do you know which choice would give me the highest STC?

Thanks!

Jim
Jbbeaubeaux

Postby Scott R. Foster » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:21 am

I suspect insulation stuffing / resilient channel / and a couple of layers of drywall would do the trick. But rip the top layer off and post pics - then ask again.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby bert stoltenborg » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:06 am

How's the floor from neighbour below up constructed?
If you know that you maybe can calculate the results of different new constructions.
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Return to Discussion