building my listening room, need advice.

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

building my listening room, need advice.

Postby manivels » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:42 am

Hi everybody!

First i want to thanks all ppl here, I m reading and collecting information for long time now, waiting for the moment i ll be able to build my listening room. So you already helped me a lot, but i still need you guys to tell me if i didnt misunderstood all what you guys said here. ( my english is very bad, sorry for that! :p)
Here we go,

Unfortunately the room is a bit small but we made it as big as possible, here s some pics about what it gonna looks like.

So we gonna have super chunk in the 4 corners, qrd diffuser in the back and side, braodband absorber panel for the direct reflections and for the celling.
As you can see the room is not a perfect rectangle as we have that little gap with the window in the front. I ll plan to use that space a bass trap, fill all the space with rock-wool and put a perforated panel in the front to close it. Is it a good idea?
Actually the listening place is at 33% from the front wall but i didnt included the window space... should I?
I dont need soundproof treatment but i do need acoustic treatment.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Well its a bit of investment so i dont want to make mistake its why i came here looking for your advices.

I d like that the photos show up directly but dunno how to do, sorry
Attachments
studio-top-view.jpg
studio-top-view
studio-top-view.jpg (55.65 KiB) Viewed 6831 times
studio-top-view2.jpg
studio-top-view2
studio-top-view2.jpg (64.79 KiB) Viewed 6831 times
windows-gap.jpg
windows-gap
windows-gap.jpg (39.5 KiB) Viewed 6831 times
manivels

Re: building my listening room, need advice.

Postby bert stoltenborg » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:13 am

Looks good.

Be sure to provide the possibility to tweak the loudspeaker and listening positions for that 33 % is a bit tricky: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3378

And those difussors look good but really are not necessary for making the whole thing sound good.
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Postby manivels » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:42 am

Thanks for taking time to answer me Bert!

I do understand that those 33% are just a starting point, my concern is maybe more about the window space that i have to fill with something. For now i was thinking to put rock-wool inside and to close it with a perforated panel. But which wood do i need to use? The first idea was to use fir timber sheathing(see the picture) but it might be not a good idea in term of acoustic treatment. Do i have other solution for that space, i mean is there any most efficient bass trap that can fit that place?
Thanks again!
Attachments
studio.jpg
studio.jpg (95.51 KiB) Viewed 6825 times
manivels

Postby bert stoltenborg » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:30 pm

Why wood?
Just use cloth, that's the most broadband method I can imagine.
Perforated board could create a Helmholz aborber and wood a resonator, which both are not broadband and very difficult/impossible to tune.
:D
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Return to Discussion