CLOUD PLACEMENT & DIFFUSER ADVISE

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

CLOUD PLACEMENT & DIFFUSER ADVISE

Postby Kre8 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:29 am

Hello,
So I’ve been very busy building my treatment since my last post and now have all my panels ready to mount. I just wondered if someone could point me in the right direction on a couple of things.
Below is a sketchup of my layout design (the panel placements are a rough estimate at the moment.)

The room is 4.5 x 5.5
I have made 4 superchunks which are already installed, 11 4x2 panels, 4 inch thick (4 are freestanding to cover windows and door).; 3 for each left and right wall, 2 for behind each monitor, 3 for the ceiling and 11 small 15’' by 15’’ for the back wall.
For the early reflection points I plan to use the mirror method but I have a question regarding the ceiling clouds, I read on another thread to place in between me and the monitors, which I will do, but would it be better place 2 above me and the third behind me somewhere? If so, where exactly? and should any be angled?

One other thing is the back wall, (it was actually an open entrance which I closed off with dry wall) I have 11 of these small panels I plan to mount like this;

Now after researching more I’m thinking to build a diffuser and place that on the back wall and surround it by the small panels… would that be worth doing or will the panels be enough?

I haven’t made any acoustic measurements yet but I will to soon once I have the furniture set up. I also have about 7 rockwool slabs left over so if any one can suggest how I should use it or if I have enough already that would be great.

Apologies for the long post, looking forward to any info some of you professionals can kindly give me.

Kre8

Re: CLOUD PLACEMENT & DIFFUSER ADVISE

Postby bert stoltenborg » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:46 pm

How far is your listening position from the difussor?
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Postby Kre8 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:04 pm

bert stoltenborg wrote:How far is your listening position from the difussor?

Hi Bert, the wall behind me is around 3.5 to 4m away...
Kre8

Postby Kre8 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:12 pm

bert stoltenborg wrote:How far is your listening position from the difussor?

Just been researching more and come to the conclusion that a diffuser would definitely be a good thing.

Now, which type of diffuser? One big one or 2/3 smaller ones? Does anyone have some good step by step links?
Kre8

Postby bert stoltenborg » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:31 pm

If you are so far from the back you will recognize reflections as acoustics, they won't be integrated in the perception of the direct sound.

I really doubt is you would like a difussor.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3831

:mrgreen:

Reading Floyd Toole's book also convinces me that IF there are reflections, you should leave them unaltered, so a flat wall (no modification of the reflection) seems better than a corrugated surface, even if it has 'time smear' :mrgreen: .
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Return to Discussion