audiology HF thoughts

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

audiology HF thoughts

Postby Ido » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:23 pm

I've been doing hearing impaired classrooms for sometime (the lack of in-depth info is surprising & disappointing),
and following questions about speakers for the above on which my friends Ram & Jonathan-jonessy taught me some, I'm having thoughts on high frequency perception,
mainly, regarding pure high freq, per identical distance, wouldn't we get better resolution if the source was pointed more laterally into the ear sideways than if it is straight in front of us? (disregarding the need for localization, point source, and no reflective side walls).
I've always had thoughts on LF just as well,
so, say the basis of our audio system is evolutionary-survival, right?
fast location of typical sources etc., from crying baby to hunting animals whatever,
these typical sources would be pretty much Med full range but without HF LF extremes, ergo maybe pure HF has other things going?
I wrote years ago about my experience (or lack of it) with… crickets… how it's hard to localize them.
Of course could be pure characteristic of those little buggers, but maybe not just?
Take care all,
signature
Ido

Re: audiology HF thoughts

Postby BIG8 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:33 am

Hey Ido,

check out the below link to see what is behind the HF cricket sound:

http://wingsoflyra.blogspot.fr/2013/12/someone-recorded-crickets-then-slowed.html

take care,
Hovannes Setrak ISMIRLIAN
Viva checking your mixes outside the mixing room! :D
BIG8

Re: audiology HF thoughts

Postby Ido » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:47 pm

signature
Ido

Return to Discussion