Help Please: Closet behind studio monitors

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Help Please: Closet behind studio monitors

Postby judgemental » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:53 pm

I am trying to figure out the best way to deal with the 2 foot deep closets behind my studio monitors. (see picture)

I will be adding foam wedge bass traps in the room corners, but this is just outside of the closets. The edge of the closet door openings are 11" from walls (just enough for foam wedges) to cover the room corners, but with the closets, this isn't the only room "corner". [please ignore the PA speakers, they are temporary for my DJ mixing purposes]

The issue is, what to do with the closets behind the monitors. I thought of just covering the folding doors with 2-3" foam for high-mid frequencies, but I worry about the closets just becoming a big bass bin since the doors will vibrate. I don't want to get rid of the closets, just in case this becomes a bed room again. Help! Any suggestions of how to deal with these closets?

Without the 2 foot deep closets, here are the room dimensions:

Room: Basement Studio, 16.67 x 11.17 x 7.17 feet
Acoustical Purpose: Pop/Dance music Recording and Mixing Studio with some Voice Over within the room.

ClosetsBehindStudioMonitors.jpeg
Photo of the room facing the monitors with closets in
(608.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
judgemental

Re: Help Please: Closet behind studio monitors

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:09 pm

remove the doors and store in the attic - hang heavy drapes - rehang doors if room use reverts.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby judgemental » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:09 am

Thanks for the reply!
Any suggestions on drapes? I've looked at some thick acoustic blankets (not just movers stuff, but that are sold for acoustics). Is that what you are referring to? Like these perhaps: http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/au ... nkets.aspx

Subject: Help Please: Closet behind studio monitors

Scott R. Foster wrote:remove the doors and store in the attic - hang heavy drapes - rehang doors if room use reverts.
judgemental

Postby bert stoltenborg » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:53 pm

What do these weight?

You can use stage backdrop, that's 300 gr/m^2 and it's fire retardant.
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Postby judgemental » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:43 pm

bert stoltenborg wrote:What do these weight?

You can use stage backdrop, that's 300 gr/m^2 and it's fire retardant.

I'm not sure of their weight, as I haven't chosen what would be the best one. The real question is whether or no to hang curtains or to remove the doors and just treat the walls inside the closet.
Then of course I have for "corners" at one end of the room. Inside the closet and out - to be concerned with.
judgemental

Postby Scott R. Foster » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:36 pm

If you hang heavy drapes you still have all of the closet space available for storage - but yes you still have corners. Of course you will still have corners whatever you do or don't do to the closet doors. Maybe store some mineral fiber cubes on the closet corners?

PS - no need for "acoustic drapes" - just use very heavy fabric - or hang several layers.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Return to Discussion