Reducing Drumset Sound in Backyard Shed

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Reducing Drumset Sound in Backyard Shed

Postby chrisscal89 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:05 pm

Hi all,

I registered to this website as I've previously found some really useful information on sound perfection. I am now looking for some feedback regarding sound reduction. I recently rented a new home, and the rental property has an outdoor shed that is completely finished (sheetrock, insulation, heating, air conditioning, carpeting, paint, the works). I figured this might be a perfect spot to set up my rather loud drum set since it's in the yard, and shouldn't bother the neighbors. I learned from a previous tenant that the walls also have 9 inches of insulation. That being said, I set up my drumset, and unfortunately (though, not surprisingly) the drums can still be heard outside of the shed. I understand that I'm not going to be able to completely silence the drums, and that is perfectly acceptable, but I would like to set up the drumset (and shed) to contain as much sound as possible leaving little to leak out. The shed is 12x12, with 2 windows and a door. The roof is slanted, but at an off-angle (see screenshot below). I do not have $2k to purchase a silencing booth. Can anyone provide any insight regarding the best way to set up the shed? I am considering changing the drumset to face the wall instead of facing the windows. I am also tossing around the idea of purchasing sound-absorbent foam for the windows and doors. Any feedback as to whether or not this will be worth it? Based on the room/roof, would setting up the drums in a certain location/corner within the shed be more advantageous for sound reduction? Any other thoughts/suggestions for sound reduction?

acoustics.PNG
Shed and Drumset layout
acoustics.PNG (107.34 KiB) Viewed 4003 times
chrisscal89

Re: Reducing Drumset Sound in Backyard Shed

Postby bert stoltenborg » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:18 pm

Insulation does not substantially reduce sound.

How is it all build?
Walls, roof, doors, thickness of glass,

And what do you expect? How much reduction do you want/need? Who is troubled by the sound? On what distance are they?
And add meters to your american units or I have to recalculate everything :mrgreen: .
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Return to Discussion