My first post! Two windows to be covered for sound

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

My first post! Two windows to be covered for sound

Postby ZapAxe » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:43 pm

Hello,

My home studio is a 9ft X11ft room that was built within a standard size attached finnished garage as an office within a office as my house was the Model Home.

I'm putting in a solid door as there was just an opening to the room. (a future question)

My home studio room has two (approx) 3 1/2 ft X 6ft windows on the two inside walls facing 'into' the rest of the finnished garage, which this space is my home office for my electrical business. The glass on the windows is not very thick.

I was thinking about making panels out of plywood and/or 'soundboard' to (on a temp basis) over-lap & cover the windows with dettachable fasteners & put some weather stripping to make a seal. The windows are inset by a couple of inches, so I was thinking about having this space be filled with an insolation of some kind, but would be attached to the inside of each panel.

This is not to be a totally sound proofed solution, but at least I'd like it to be very sound 'resistant'.

So does this sound like a good solution? Other ideas that are basic & simple?

Thanks, Steve
ZapAxe

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:11 pm

(amature here)

Sounds fine. Sort of like a DIY Soundproof door without hinges.
Rigid insulation (fiberglass or rockwool)
For the plywood, the heavier the better (e.g. layers of MDF). But with 3'x6' you probably won't want to lift it.

I'm unclear if the structure is going into the window so that it's flush with the wall, or if it's going over the window so it's wider than the window frame. If it's wider than the window frame then you might want a lip at the bottom to set it on while you fasten it in place.

If you want to make it really heavy, you could hinge it at the top and use a block and tackle to raise the drawbridge.
Regards
Bob Golds
"The only thing we regret in life is the love we failed to give."
"Be a rapturist -- the backward of a terrorist. Commit random acts of senseless kindness, whenever possible" - Jake Stonebender
Bob

Postby ZapAxe » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:47 pm

Hi and thanks Bob,

Well, I planed to have the panels over-lap the window & fasten it on the wall with a weather stripping seal at the edges of the panels. There is no frame or trim on the wall per say to obstruct the mounting so it will seal to the wall ok.
Imagine a window opening cut out the sheetrocked wall & the the inside opening got sheetrocked. The glass was then placed in the opening & they used approx 1/2 inch strips all around & on both sides of the glass to hold in the window in place. So there is a couple or so inches space (on both sides of glass, but the studio side is the only concern) before the the surface of the wall...simple & likely very sound leaky!

Yes, I figured I'd use a ridgid/semi ridgid insulatation maybe glued to the inside of the panels as there will be an air space which would be two hard inside surfaces so I figured the insulation in the maybe two inches or so of air space could be insulated.

For the outside of these panels I'm wondering if I should cover it with a soft surface of some kind. But if I use 'sound board' (can buy at Home Depot) on the outside of the panels this will be somewhat absorbant & maybe I can just spray paint it?

Steve
ZapAxe

Postby Scott R. Foster » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:34 pm

Steve:

I'd just pull the windows out and fill the hole with insualtion batts...frame the inside with 2x's and then drywall and paint both sides - why do I need windows from one part of my house into the other?

If there is some reason, maybe just take a picture of the other room and hang it on the wall when you are done.

Alternatively - if you think you'll want the windows there at some later time - you could leave the windows in the holes - fill the hole from both sides with batts and cover with a sheet of plywood that overlaps .
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby ZapAxe » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:52 pm

Hi and thanks Scott,

Hmmm. I didn't even think about that actually. When i moved in I thought hey, this looks like a recording studio room with the windows.
To tell the truth, I like the look of the windows & from my office side I can see my gear & colored track lights.
But what you say does make sence!
The only real need for a window is not to my office side, but the side that faces the front of the house which has another 5ft maybe of space that I was considering using that as an iso room. I thought it would be cool to have a window between those two. I may need to double up on the glass maybe.

That's why I thought making panels was an easy temp (when I need it) solution.

But you've got me thinking here. Hmmm....

Steve
Since I own the home there's no problem is doing whatever I need to do.
ZapAxe

Postby Paul Woodlock » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:39 am

Greetings Steve

just saying Hello :)

( Zapaxe is another Cubase.net friend :) )

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby ZapAxe » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:00 am

Hi there Paul,

You know?...I'm just getting around to installing that door I talked to you about maybe six months ago (where is that "eek" emocon) "lol". I'm put'n in a special custom frame job with a seal.

Next, I'll address those windows.

Steve
ZapAxe

Return to Discussion