DYI Bass Trap with Corner Bead Framing

Users can post links here and someday, someone might place them in the correct area.

DYI Bass Trap with Corner Bead Framing

Postby shelm » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:34 pm

First I want to thank Scott for for the info on building SuperChunk traps

I built two SuperChunk traps for the corners, and some mid-high absorbers for trap first reflections.

In addition I after reading Ethan Winer’s “Real Traps - Measuring Absorption and the Numbers Game” article I decided to attempt a design more resembling the Real Traps frame. My goals were to have light yet strong frame and to increase the amount of absorption on the 4” sides of the trap by not using a solid wood frame. After reviewing my options I decided to attempt a frame made from metal corner bead and aluminum rivets. I used mineral Wool instead of OC703.

Test Results:

In a word ASTONISHING! The once muddy room now sounds fantastic! I can hear pristine mixes, much sharper sound stage, clear imaging, much tighter bass lines. My studio has never sounded better! I feel like I'm finally getting to hear what my studio equipment and monitors can do.

I've put a web page together with the details of how I built these as well as the two SuperChunk Traps for the corners. I've also included a before and after chart using Ethan's Test CD. The panels have dramaticly reduced the room's modal ringing. Fortunately the room dimensions 11'9"x18'4"x8' are fairly advantageous in terms of modal ratios.

I've also added screenshots of the calculated room modes and standing waves to my project's page:

Check it out:
http://www.radford.edu/~shelm/acoustics/bass-traps.html
shelm

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:22 pm

shelm:

Excellent work, both the absorbers and the web page.
Great idea about the corner bead !  It even provides a good anchor/suspension point, in addition to being light and strong.

Your 4' x 2' x 4" absorbers are $25 each. Nifty.

Mind if I add  a link to your site at the bottom of http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm ?
I collect DIY Examples like this.

BTW, the 'numbers game' apparently is a great way to estimate the increase in surface area, but not a great way to estimate the change in absorbtion.
Regards
Bob Golds
"The only thing we regret in life is the love we failed to give."
"Be a rapturist -- the backward of a terrorist. Commit random acts of senseless kindness, whenever possible" - Jake Stonebender
Bob

Postby David French » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:18 am

Excellent report!  Thanks for sharing.

After going to all that trouble, you owe it to yourself to get a copy of ETF and measure your room.
David M. French
David French

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:21 pm

Nice stuff... mind if I drop a link in the FAQ?
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby shelm » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:12 pm

Sure, I'd be happy if you linked to my page.

Steve
shelm

Postby shelm » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:16 pm

I think the $25 price was possible  since I was able to get the mineral wool before the price jump at insulationworld.com, and I also got the polyester batting and burlap on sale.  So your costs may be higher.

Steve
shelm

Postby Joel DuBay » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:34 pm

Wonderfully done Shelm and Scott!

Those traps look good. It is absolutely amazing what happens when you EFFECTIVELY treat a room, isn't it.
Great work on the price too! Makes you wonder why some panels are so darn expensive!

Nice work.
Cheers!
Joel DuBay

Shshshshshshshshsh......, smell that?......
Joel DuBay

Return to Unsorted Links Here