Recording room/booth

Users can post links here and someday, someone might place them in the correct area.

Recording room/booth

Postby malachigreenidge » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:12 am

Hi
   I am brand new to this, my name is Malachi Greenidge and I am located in Toronto, Ontario.  I'm a musician/singer/sonwriter that plays mostly acoustic instruments (guitar, banjo, cello, lapsteel, etc.)  I want to record my own album and have just purchased a yamaha aw2816.  I have some other gear as well but that's not what this post is about.  I want to build a recording booth or sound room.  I have been doing research over the past 2 weeks, reading books, magazines, internet, etc.  All the information has left me quite confused though.  I don't have the means to build a studio, I just want a room to record in.  I was thinking of the dimensions of either 8' by 10' or 8' by 12'. (not sure of the height, but no more than 7') The problem is that most of the stuff I've read is on how to keep the sound from leaving the room as to avoid bothering the neighbours, roomates, etc.  I'm not worried about that, it is not a problem for me, as I am playing pretty much only acoustic instruments and do not play drums.  I'm wanting to keep the unwanted "outside noise" from getting in.  Like the furnace, airconditioner, waterpipes, etc.  I realise that if sound is not getting out than it is not getting in either.  But I guess what I want to know is if I'm to build the same thing or is there a difference in what I want and should I take a different building approach?  

Please help!

D.S. Malachi Greenidge
malachigreenidge

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:35 am

The same soundproofing works both ways. You can use soundproofing to lower the noise floor, and increase your dynamic range.
Bob

Sound foam

Postby malachigreenidge » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:41 am

Has anyone ever used a product called Roxul?  They have an insulation called Roxul AFB Sound Control.  [url](http://www.roxul.com/graphics/rx-na/can ... sheet1.pdf[/url])  I have a friend who told me that his friend used it and it worked really well.  I'm still trying to find a price on it but he told me it was cheaper than acoustical foam.  The plant is in Milton Ontario which is only about 20 minutes from me.
   If I have an enclosed room, which I will, and it will be quite small (8' by 5'), how do I get the deadness out.  I read that you could put up ceramic tiles on opposite  walls.  But I'm not sure what kind of tiles I need, or if wood panels would work just as good.  And what size would i want them for my size of room? (the height wil be 6 1/2', plus the dimensions above).
   Is a room this small even worth my time and money?

Really needing advice...
Malachi
malachigreenidge

Return to Unsorted Links Here