Recording room: thermal insulation affecting sound??

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Postby Paul Woodlock » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:43 pm

Nuuk wrote:also thinking about putting my headphone amp into a spare in of the superchunks.. but not sure about that now.

Mineral wool's original purpose is Thermal insulation. I wouldn't put an Amp inside it :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Nuuk » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:50 pm

of course i wouldn't put it into the isolation. would put a 19" box into the absorber and put the amp into there. also it doesn't get very warm, so this shouldn't be a problem.
i used blender to draw this. it's open source and is free.
Nuuk

Postby Nuuk » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:04 pm

some more questions came to my mind during the last days:
the superchunks will be 50 cm broad (measuring the side touching the wall) I was just wondering, if this will be big enough??
There are parquet tiles with build in subsonic-noise isolation. (hope this is the right word) Is this good or bad for the internal sound of the room??

btw: i finished the ceiling. did take quite longer than i estimated. will provide pics of course =)
Nuuk

Postby Nuuk » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:38 pm

double post...  :bang  :bang  :bang  :oops:
Last edited by Nuuk on Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuuk

Postby Nuuk » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:41 pm

Here's the pic of the ceiling.
i also tried to put some mineral wool into the corners, to see what acoustics will do. i still have that low frequency annoying me, but there is also  a lot of absorbant to be installed. i hope this will fix the problem.
i also found a nice colour for the walls. sanding the cardboard inspired me somehow...  :mrgreen:  floor will be brighter than on the pic, but i'm still looking for the right color for the absorbant and the ceiling.
Attachments
ceiling.jpg
ceiling.jpg (32.93 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
ceilingchunk.jpg
ceiling with superchunk
ceilingchunk.jpg (36.33 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
room9.jpg
room9.jpg (32.45 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
Nuuk

Postby Nuuk » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:25 am

Hi, I'm still working on that room. Unforntunately i'm not able to spend that much time on that, as i would like to. i'm doing the floor at the moment.
What really drives me nuts is that, if i hit my plasterboard wall at one point - it is still pretty boomy. and well, you can hear that even if you close the door.  :bang
so, what went wrong with that? I have 3 layers on one side of the wall - i've used over 300 screws for the third layer. so it won't be too less screws i guess. might something have gone wrong with the isolation inside of the wall. well, but if so, i will not be able to fix that.
I'm wondering if the superchunk that i will install in that corner will dampen that part of the wall a bit??
but, what could i do with that wall to fix this?
I could install a horizontal wooden joist on the backward of the wall. might that thighten up that wall somehow? any ideas, comments, tips or anything else that could help me to fix this?
Nuuk

Previous

Return to Discussion