Paul's STUDIO BUILD DIARY

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Postby Andy S » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:53 am

As a work colleague of Woman, I have only heard one side of this story. Absolutely fascinating Paul, cheers for the entertainment and education. I can now hear both sides of this project.

I read Woman the latest update and she would like to know if you made a mess on the kitchen floor when you dropped the scampi?!!!

Andy
Andy S

Postby Paul Woodlock » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:53 pm

Andy S wrote:As a work colleague of Woman, I have only heard one side of this story. Absolutely fascinating Paul, cheers for the entertainment and education. I can now hear both sides of this project.
[/b]

I bet her side had something to do with cleaning

[b]
I read Woman the latest update and she would like to know if you made a mess on the kitchen floor when you dropped the scampi?!!!

Andy

She would wouldn't she :) :)

Tell her the underside of her car wheel arches are dirty, and she'll get a taxi home from work :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:44 pm

Wednesday 31st March 2004 4:22pm

Morning All :)

Spoke to the local Concrete Supplier Today ( The Concrete Company Ltd ), whose called Malcolm.

Malcolm was a nice bloke, knew a bit about the local music scene, and offered 6.5 m3 of Fibre Mesh Concrete for £56 + VAT per m3

Grand total of £427.70 . Over £100 Cheaper than the Quote From ReadyMix Ltd

I checked and the concrete lorry has a 2.5m ( about 7' ) reach on it's chute, so access is no problem. There's over 110 barrowloads in a 6m3 load, and we don't wanna be doing THAT!!

In a word, COOL!!

Woman has been designated official photographer and coffee maker. I'm sure she won't mind servicing 3 blokes for a couple of hours . hehe :)

The only worrying bit now ( for me ), is getting up early. I don't normally wake up till around 1 to 2pm. I can only have the concrete delivered on a Saturday due to work commitments of my faithful helpers. The concrete can only be delivered on Saturdays in the morning. So I'm probably going to be monged. But never mind. I'm hard, I can handle it :) :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:41 pm

Thursday 01 April 2004 10:16pm

Greetings Peoples :)

Well I awoke today to find a 5.4 metre 150x50 ( 6x2 ) length of C16 stuctural timber laying outside on the driveway. And a delivery note pushed through the door

It looked straight when I spied it through the landing window, but I had to wait till actually inspecting it close up to find the real deal.

First a few gallons of coffee to wake up!!

This piece of wood will determine how level the concrete slab will be, so its very important for it to be straight.

Thankfully the wood was actually fairly straight. Phew! I Knew it wouldn't be dead straight. Wood never is. So today I set to work on the straightening process.

I laid it on a flat surface and got out my trusty power plane, and carefully shaved off wood in the right places. About a 0.25mm at a time. Took a while, but I was left with one edge of the wood dead straight. Cool. I then cut the wood to length. 5.06m was the optimum length to sit the wood on the brick parapets forming the edge of the mould, and allowing a modicum of slding back and forth to screed the concrete. However I wasn't finished.....

The trouble with a 5m span of wood, is that it sags in the middle. So to get it straight under these circumstances meant it needed to be slghtly curved, so it sags straight.

I scratched my head for a few seconds and came up with a cunning plan.....

You may remember I fixed a length of wooden battern all the way around the room at the finished floor height for levelling purposes, and knocked small nails in it every few inches to allow string lines to be attached.

I set up a string line across the width of the room, and placed the wood on edge on the parapets underneath it. Measuring from the string to the bottom of the wood was 245mm at the edges and 248mm in the middle. This meant the wood was sagging 3mm in the middle.

A few more nifty power plane moves resulted in a peice of wood that was indeed straight over a 5m span. Within +/- 0.5mm anyway. not bad eh? :) :) :)

I also managed to avoid ripping the DPM Sheet with the power plane. ( for me, that was a result. )

Sorted. ( and the sort of care you wouldn't get if you got the Contractors in )

In true fashion I haven't swept up the wood shavings from the garage yet. I'll probably do that later tonight.

I also can't order the concrete until monday, as one of my helpers doesn't know where he'll be working next week. He might have to goto Belgium again to fit more kitchens., so if that's the case, Ill have to postpone the pour another week ( GRIM ), or get someone else in. So fingers crossed for monday.

The concrete pour started off as VERY VERY SCARY. Now it's only a little scary. I shall certainly be relieved when it's done and level. :)

The next big scary job is ordering the Sylomer. Which I'll probably get on to on monday. Leaving the weekend for some final final final final checks.

I've also been digging a trench in the garden today. Woman and I want a pagoda in the garden with small brick walls. This won't be done until next year really, but the current plan with that is to dig out the foundations now , and use any left over surplus concrete from the two floor slab pours I've got to do.

I can't believe how unfit I am. I only dug out a little bit and got absolutely fucked!!!

I wonder if there'll be any room for some Gym equpiment in the new studio??? hmm?

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Scott R. Foster » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:01 am

Paul

That board won't be unsupported when you go to screed the CC... OTOH it may well sag a bit [though not near as much as it does when there is nothing underneath it in the middle whatsoever].

Optimally, a screed board should be staright and stiff... so if you fear that it will sag appreciably laying on the concrete you might want to try plane it back to straight, and then making it stiff by screwing another board across the top laid flat... so you get a "T" shaped cross section. Put a couple handles on it and you'll have a nice bit of kit... like this... 'cept different.

http://www.slipindustries.com/concrete.html

For me... I'd just plane it back to straight and run what I brung... there aint a truly flat concrete floor in the State of Florida so why should mine be perfect?

Ok, maybe the floor in the NASA assembly building - but you get what I'm saying.

Good Luck
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Woman » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:02 pm

Hi, I am the long suffering WOMAN so often referred to throughout Paul's diary and thought it about time I recorded my experience so far with the studio build.

I am 100% supportive of Paul's ambitions regarding his music. So much so I gave up my home of 21 years to buy a house with a double garage! I also realise where I come in the pecking order and am fine with this, i.e. music, dogs, Woman!!

The only thing I am not happy with is the mess Paul is making during this project. He is a grub at the best of times but I have had to endure quite a lot so far. Often on a very clear sunny day outside there is about 2 foot visability inside due to a fog of dust and that is no exaggeration!!! It would be safer if myself and the dogs had fog lamps attached to us to avoid accidents! He forgets to close doors or take steps to seal them so that it all seeps through. He also has a very bad habit of leaving his working boots on and chasing the dogs doing "The Sleeve" round a once clean house. I know all you guys out there will probably say to me "get a life" but I take pride in my home and do find this a constant battle. I think Paul has also developed rather a large twitch in his old age and I constantly find coffee stains up the walls of the stairs and last night all the way up the door leading into the new studio!!!!

If any of you can help me out there train Paul to respect his inner home as much as he does his studio then I would be forever grateful.

I look forward to hearing from you

Woman
Woman

Postby Paul Woodlock » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:41 pm

Greetings

Woman is right!

Except the 'Pecking Order' bit. ( She's a LOT LOWER down the list :) :) :) )

I did forget to close the door once or twice when breaking the floor up, and despite being told numerous times the dust settled on her half of the living room. And I'm still paying for it. :)

Coffee stains!! - Oh dear. Has the Intravenous Coffee Drip Tube come loose again. I Must get that fixed.

I daren't tell her the dining room is going to be a temporary storage area to about 100 sheets of Plasterboard in a couple of months.

:) :)

Paul

p.s. I love her to bits really. but dont' tell her that :)
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:59 pm

Scott R. Foster wrote:Paul

That board won't be unsupported when you go to screed the CC... OTOH it may well sag a bit [though not near as much as it does when there is nothing underneath it in the middle whatsoever].

Optimally, a screed board should be staright and stiff... so if you fear that it will sag appreciably laying on the concrete you might want to try plane it back to straight, and then making it stiff by screwing another board across the top laid flat... so you get a "T" shaped cross section. Put a couple handles on it and you'll have a nice bit of kit... like this... 'cept different.

http://www.slipindustries.com/concrete.html

For me... I'd just plane it back to straight and run what I brung... there aint a truly flat concrete floor in the State of Florida so why should mine be perfect?

Ok, maybe the floor in the NASA assembly building - but you get what I'm saying.

Good Luck

Greetings Scott :

I hear what ya saying.

That Aluminum screed board looks just the job. btw :)

I did think about the sagging while actually on the concrete. but when I was screeding off the side of the parapets the other day, I noticed the top few millimetres of concretre was pretty wet, and I thought the wood would still sag by it's 3mm into this wet layer.

I won't be too disappointed if the floor is 3mm out of level over 5m though. I think the upper plywood formwork supporting the floating slab will flex enough to accomadate any slight uneveness.

:)

Cheers

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Scott R. Foster » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:54 pm

Well if its a little high in the center the coffee/beer/blood will pool up around the edges.

Maybe that's a good thing?
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Paul Woodlock » Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:07 pm

Scott R. Foster wrote:Well if its a little high in the center the coffee/beer/blood will pool up around the edges.

Maybe that's a good thing?

:) :) :)

PAul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Ido » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:58 pm

Woman wrote:Hi, I am the long suffering WOMAN ...
... I know all you guys out there will probably say to me "get a life" ...
Woman

Hell no, it takes a lot of character/livelihood to put up with all that.
My neighborly help will be reminding Paul he's lucky..
Ido
Ido

Postby Paul Woodlock » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:02 pm

Monday 5th April 2004 4:55pm

Greetings!

The logistics of concrete pouring. :(

My esteemed mate Jonathan can't make this Saturday. He CAN make Friday ( Friday is a public holiday in the UK ). The concrete people can't deliver on Friday, but will deliver on Saturday. My other Mate Nick can't make Friday, but can only make Saturday. I can make Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Woman can make Friday and Saturday, but I'm sure would be extremely unwilling to apply Wellies and help rake and shovel the concrete. It's simply not clean enough :)

Jonathan is also unsure about the next saturday.

hmmmmm??

It's not looking good. I don't to wait another WEEK or I could be close to wasting another month of this ridiculously short life.

I need a cunning plan!.

Next Job. Find a cunning plan...

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Nick

Postby uk03878 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:27 pm

Just out of interest is Nick a drummer from Deeping+?
uk03878

Re: Nick

Postby Paul Woodlock » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:57 pm

uk03878 wrote:Just out of interest is Nick a drummer from Deeping+?

No he's a Judge Jules Lookalike from Fletton :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Mr Burns » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:49 pm

I'll give you bloody Judge Jules!! :o[

I can make Thursday as well if thats any good?
Mr Burns

Postby Paul Woodlock » Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:43 am

Tuesday 6th April 2004 03:36am

THERE IS A GOD!!!!

Is it a turd? Is it a pain? NO! IT's MR BURNS!!!! to the rescue!!!

Woman's Brother in Law 'Junior' might also be able to help.

After a night of unrest, I finally have a cunning plan. :) WOOHOO!!

Well it's not a definite WOOHOO, as Junior might not be able to make it.

However unless someone tells me I'm insane, I reckon at a push, two of us could tackle this concrete pour.

The cunning plan is this...

Call the Concrete Company 1st thing and check if a deliver ycan be made on Thursday afternoon. Then hopefully confirm with Mr Burns ( Nick ) and Junior as a bonus.

Fingers Crossed. you can be sure I'll be letting out a BIG.... PHEW! once this concrete job is done.

cya's all tomorrow

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:11 pm

Tuesday 6th April 2004 4:04pm

Greetings

In a WORD....

SORTED!!

:) :) :) :)

The concrete is booked for 3pm Thursday!

For the technically minded I'm getting 6.5m3 of Fibre Mesh Concrete with a 70mm slump. A C25 mix apparently [ whatever that means :) ]

Actually I'm pretty trechnically minded, so that helps me too :)

Nick [ Mr Burns ] is also booked, and will have a spell cast to turn him into a chav for the rest of his life if he doesn't turn up.

As said 'Junior' can't make it, and neither can Jonathan, so the two of us will have to battle through.

It'll work. I'm confident it will work. It has to work anyway. Failure is NOT an option!!!

I'm still a little scared though! First concrete pour and all that.

Also a big thanks to Andy S, who also couldn't make it, but said he would make it if he could make it.

But of course a huge THANKS to Mr Burns, without whome I'd be truly stuffed up the ringpiece.

Right, time to get the Garage cleared up and ready.

COOL!

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:12 pm

Tuesday 6th April 2004 4:04pm

Greetings

In a WORD....

SORTED!!

:) :) :) :)

The concrete is booked for 3pm Thursday!

For the technically minded I'm getting 6.5m3 of Fibre Mesh Concrete with a 70mm slump. A C25 mix apparently [ whatever that means :) ]

Actually I'm pretty trechnically minded, so that helps me too :)

Nick [ Mr Burns ] is also booked, and will have a spell cast to turn him into a chav for the rest of his life if he doesn't turn up.

As said 'Junior' can't make it, and neither can Jonathan, so the two of us will have to battle through.

It'll work. I'm confident it will work. It has to work anyway. Failure is NOT an option!!!

I'm still a little scared though! First concrete pour and all that.

Also a big thanks to Andy S, who also couldn't make it, but said he would make it if he could make it.

But of course a huge THANKS to Mr Burns, without whome I'd be truly stuffed up the ringpiece.

Right, time to get the Garage cleared up and ready.

COOL!

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:27 pm

Thursday 8th April 2004 01:25pm

Morning all!

Bit monged still. I just got up!

The concrete arrives in hour and a half. Time for Breakfast!

<Drum ROLL>

back later

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:01 pm

Thurs 8th April 2004 1:58pm

Well breakfast was yummy. Sausage, Egg, Beans and Chips. Good old English!!

Just waiting for Mr Burns to arrive now.

continued..... <DRUM ROLL> ......

Camera is charged up ready. Woman is at work, so I'll have to take my own piccies. Just hope the camera doesn't get full of concrete :) EEK!

I am a bit nervous. First pour! A good rehersal for the floating slab though.

laters

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion