wall building - Existing drywall

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

wall building - Existing drywall

Postby karnsey » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:31 pm

Hi People,
                     I know you guys get sick of the same questions but I've looked and have'nt seen an exact answer to my question. My basement room is 12x12 (all but 1 wall is concrete and in the shape of an octogon from being below my front bay window).  This room is for recording music. I have drums, guitar and bass and would like to get the best soundproofing possible (without getting crazy)  Should I remove the existing drywall from the studs on my concrete walls or just cover them with sonopan and more drywall?  I have the sonopan and am ready to start.  Should I use resilient channels on these walls between the exsisting wall and the new materials if I leave them on?  Until now, I wasn't planning on using any resilient channels on any of the walls or ceiling but having read some posts, I'm not so sure.  Any help I could recieve would be greatly appreciated by me, my wife and my kids
                                                                                         Thanks
                                                                                                        Karnsey
karnsey

Re: wall building - Existing drywall

Postby Brian Dayton » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:43 pm

karnsey wrote:Hi People,
                     I know you guys get sick of the same questions but I've looked and have'nt seen an exact answer to my question. My basement room is 12x12 (all but 1 wall is concrete and in the shape of an octogon from being below my front bay window).  This room is for recording music. I have drums, guitar and bass and would like to get the best soundproofing possible (without getting crazy)  

Should I remove the existing drywall from the studs on my concrete walls or just cover them with sonopan and more drywall? I have the sonopan and am ready to start.   

you have concrete / studs / drywal...?  and you are to add sonopan and more drywall?  sonopan = soundboard, no?  

the only motive to take off the existing drywall would be to move the studs away from the concrete if they are mecahnically coupled right now.  if you leave the studs, you should also leave the existing drywall.

Should I use resilient channels on these walls between the exsisting wall and the new materials if I leave them on?

absolutely not.  would create a small air cavity, and those are generally not good.  don't put RC over a solid surface to create a small air gap.

Until now, I wasn't planning on using any resilient channels on any of the walls or ceiling but having read some posts, I'm not so sure.  Any help I could recieve would be greatly appreciated by me, my wife and my kids
                                                                                         Thanks
                                                                                                        Karnsey

the existing ceiling is something conventional, as are the walls?  like 2x4 walls and 2x10 joists or something?  is concrete all around the room except for one side or some such thing?
Content posted by me is copyright 2004, 2005, 2006  Brian Ravnaas, but may be reproduced without permission for any non-commercial purpose so long as the intent is preserved.  NRC Canada data is copyright them and used with permission, www.nrc.ca
Brian Dayton

Postby karnsey » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:55 pm

Thanks for your timely advise. It's much appreciated.  The ceiling is 2x10's and I've put in 10" of safe and sound in there and the walls are 2x4.  Imagine a room below a big 12' bay window that has angled sides.  My room has six walls - 5 of them have concrete walls with 2x4 studs, fiberglass, vapour barrier and 1/2" drywall.
I'm having a sonopan party tonight so I thiink i'm going to go with my original plan.  hope all goes well!
  P.S. Any ideas about how to cover my walls on the inside of the room? ( cork, eggcartons)
                                                                  Thanks again,
                                                                                               Karnsey
karnsey

Postby Dan Nelson » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:46 am

I found  sonopan on the web at http://www.materiauxspecl.com/en/acoustic.html
I noticed in one of their pdf's http://www.materiauxspecl.com/en/pdf/sonopan.pdf they had examples of wall constructions however they had a few that are triple leaf constuctions which should be avoided.  Brian do the problems of triple leaf constuction not show up when you are only measuring STC ratings?

Dan
Dan Nelson

Postby Brian Dayton » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:14 am

Dan Nelson wrote:I found  sonopan on the web at http://www.materiauxspecl.com/en/acoustic.html
I noticed in one of their pdf's http://www.materiauxspecl.com/en/pdf/sonopan.pdf they had examples of wall constructions however they had a few that are triple leaf constuctions which should be avoided.  Brian do the problems of triple leaf constuction not show up when you are only measuring STC ratings?

Dan

STC covers the range of 125-4000hz, so if the problems caused by the triple leaf manifest below this range, STC could be unaffected.  Note on page 4 of that document at the top right is an assembly with 3 layers of drywlal, one layer of soundboard, resilient chanell... it gets an STC=56.

one page lower they show (top left) the same assembly, but arranged as a two-leaf wall, it gets an STC=58.  it is very possible that the difference in performance is greater below 125hz than this small change in STC would imply.  

also, sonopan = soundboard and isn't completely airtight, so the problems of the triple leaf won't fully manifest themselves the way they would/could if drywall was used on all layers in that case.
Content posted by me is copyright 2004, 2005, 2006  Brian Ravnaas, but may be reproduced without permission for any non-commercial purpose so long as the intent is preserved.  NRC Canada data is copyright them and used with permission, www.nrc.ca
Brian Dayton

Postby karnsey » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:00 pm

Hi guys
                 I'm just going to go with 1 sheet of drywall and I hope this will dampen the noise enough to be able to play at night while my family sleeps (the only time I have a chance to lately).  I'm afraid that the drywall's hard face will cause a "bright" sound in such a small room - 12x12.  One step at a time I guess.  Although most of the topics discussed on this board are way over my head, I'm glad to see that people will take time to answer the questions of a greenhorn.
                                                                               Thanks,
                                                                                               Karnsey
karnsey

Postby Ido » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:10 pm

karnsey wrote:Hi guys
                 I'm just going to go with 1 sheet of drywall and I hope this will dampen the noise enough to be able to play at night while my family sleeps (the only time I have a chance to lately).  I'm afraid that the drywall's hard face will cause a "bright" sound in such a small room - 12x12.  One step at a time I guess.  Although most of the topics discussed on this board are way over my head, I'm glad to see that people will take time to answer the questions of a greenhorn.
                                                                               Thanks,
                                                                                               Karnsey

I would never do one layer of gypsum for anything, that is, if would build a wall, or add gypsum to an existing wall (regardless of the details), I'd always do at least 2 layers (if not more).
besides, the FAQ here ain't that tough, it could get you's a long way.
Ido
Ido

Postby avare » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:49 pm

karnsey wrote:Hi guys
                                                                               Thanks,
                                                                                               Karnsey

Re brightness:  hang a carpet/cloth artwork/703 on the walls.

Re noise enough.  A single layer of gypsum will NOT do it.

Read the FAQ so htat you can determine the best compromise in your sitiuation.

Andre
avare

Return to Discussion