Bedroom studio from scratch

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Bedroom studio from scratch

Postby Tonestastic » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:55 pm

I have a shell bedroom to be used as my home studio - I had a couple of questions which I hope you can help me with, after Paul recommended I come here.

Room dimensions are approx 357cm x 316cm - see diagram at
> http://www.aelatham.fsnet.co.uk/studioroom.jpg

A couple of questions I have are:

- I used to have my mixing area bottom right of the diagram, along the outside wall but near the corner. I am planning on having a desk built to house 2 x TFT monitors, small rack, computer, monitors etc - where would be best to position?

- I have a budget of about £350 to treat acoustically as best I can (the bedroom is effectively detached so not overly worried about sound proofing). What would be the best use of this money? I am a complete novice at this so pls bear in mind!

- What would be the best floor covering - I was going to have good quality carpet with laminate around the mixing area so I can whizz about on my wheels easily :)

- I don't want it to look awful - so may need to compromise a bit on quality v aesthetics?

Any help appreciated!
Tony
Tonestastic

Postby drnelson » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:26 am

Moved here from the FAQ area

Dan
drnelson
Site Admin

Postby Dan Nelson » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:11 pm

I would put the desk in front of the window centered on the window wall, it could go near the door but it seems like you would need to have desk into the room to clear the door is there a fire place in the room or just a chimney from a room below? That might cause challenges.

For the floor you installing a wood laminate or pergo type floor in the work area and a carpet border correct? It should work that pretty standard in many studios. I have always used wood products in the hard area, but pergo type flooring should work as well, and it should stand up to chairs rolling better. I had looking into installing into about 10 years ago however at the time it was a new product here in the US and we found some maple flooring cheap so we went with that.

I think you most likely read the FAQ on control rooms http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=11 since that was the area you posted first but just in case here is the link.

Dan Nelson
Dan Nelson

Postby Scott R. Foster » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:36 am

I'd center the back of the desk on the wall with the window so the long side of the room was behind me, and the room was roughly symetric left to right. A thick set of drapes for the window is probably in order.

Then I'd put cloth covered mineral fiber [703] panels from floor to ceiling across the diagonal [or full wedges] in the three non-door corners - hang a few thick 703 panels on the ceiling and walls [leave an air gap behind] being sure to get good coverage at the front of the room at all early reflection points and to cover the back of the door [to take a stab at the corner wedge I didn't get to put there].

You might want a nice diffuser array on the rear wall.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Bob » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:46 am

Hi Scott:

It's interesting that you suggested putting traps in 3 non-door corners.
I was considering putting traps in only 2 corners in my room because I have a door in one corner and I was concerned about absorbtion symetry.
Would a 3rd corner trap not be a problem?
Regards
Bob Golds
"The only thing we regret in life is the love we failed to give."
"Be a rapturist -- the backward of a terrorist. Commit random acts of senseless kindness, whenever possible" - Jake Stonebender
Bob

Postby Paul Woodlock » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:05 pm

Bob wrote:Hi Scott:

It's interesting that you suggested putting traps in 3 non-door corners.
I was considering putting traps in only 2 corners in my room because I have a door in one corner and I was concerned about absorbtion symetry.
Would a 3rd corner trap not be a problem?

I don't think there is much symmetry at those frequencies. Besides it's a tiny room, and I think you would want all the standing wave absorption you can get

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Bob » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:49 pm

Paul wrote
don't think there is much symmetry at those frequencies.

703 absorbs sound from wherever you're lucky enough to hit in the bass all the way up into the high frequencies. I can see not being woried about the non-directional bass, but the 600hz through 10khz being absorbed asymetrically is what I'm more concerned about.
Regards
Bob Golds
"Be a rapturist -- the backward of a terrorist. Commit random acts of senseless kindness, whenever possible" - Jake Stonebender
Bob

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:40 am

Bob wrote: 703 absorbs sound from wherever you're lucky enough to hit in the bass all the way up into the high frequencies. I can see not being woried about the non-directional bass, but the 600hz through 10khz being absorbed asymetrically is what I'm more concerned about.

And thus the suggestion that the back of the door gets a panel... to mantain some semblance of symetric absorption at higher frequencies [though as you point out it won't be symetric lower in the band]. I figure better to get the mud out than be too worried about the difference cause by the variance in left rear versus right rear decay of cymbal sizzle [I doubt I could hear it any way].

My $0.02
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:27 am

I didn't notice "the door gets a panel". But I see it's there.
I now approve. :-)
Regards
Bob Golds
Bob

Postby Tonestastic » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:16 pm

thanks chaps. Can you clarify what a nice 'diffuser array' would be in idiot's terms?!

Couple of follow-ups.....

Carpet / laminate for the floor is OK I take it?

And currently under the window is the radiator - not ideal I wouldn't have thought for the desk to be right by it - so I either move one or t'other. Desk would be easier to move obviously but then where put it?
Tonestastic

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:38 pm

Tone:

A reflective floor is better than one that absorbs only highs [choose laminate vs. wall to wall carpet].

A few of these on the back wall painted some nice accent color might be a nice touch - or you could build a nice poly from veneer grade plywood.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid ... e_id/38088

Or you could look at some of the pricier stuff.

http://www.silentsource.com/diffusors.html

Good Luck
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:37 pm

Jeff D. Szymanski wrote , [added by Bob - thus merely my interpretation]

"Summary (in terms of the science of diffusion):
OK = angled surfaces; "pyramids" (not to be confused with pyramid acoustical foam - a whole different thang)
Good = curved (convex) surfaces; "barrels", [polycylindricals]
Better = random design. [art difuser]
Best = "complex" mathematical designs. [skyline, Diffractal]
"
Regards
Bob Golds
Bob

Postby Tonestastic » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:21 pm

Scott

so laminate all over is better than carpet / laminate?

I also need to use one corner as a semi permanent vocal booth - again will need to construct from scratch. Wish i didn't have to do it all in one small space :(

I assume the best place for this will be the back right corner. Perhaps I could make a 703 panel on hinges which could swing out to form one side of the booth, and another along the other wall (see http://www.aelatham.fsnet.co.uk/hingedbasstrapbooth.jpg )

Not sure if this is a practical solution or a ridiculous idea that could never work!!!
Tonestastic

Postby Scott R. Foster » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:22 pm

Tone:

Ya I'd go with the laminate.

And I'd forget the booth and put the money in good headphones.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Return to Discussion