WINDOW GAP MATERIAL

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

WINDOW GAP MATERIAL

Postby jeff gossard » Sun May 04, 2008 2:55 am

After much trial and error i have decided to use this material called rubbatex. The new copy for rubbatex which costs slightly less is called Armaflex , which is what i used. I can't tell the difference. Anyway, trying to cut 703 into thin long strips and wraping cloth around it and gluing the cloth to the 703 and then gluing that assembly into the small gaps between the window framing i decided to just put a 9 millimeter aganist my head and pull the trigger.

I have known about this stuff for quite a while because a good friend of mine is a union pipe insulator. Installing this  is easy if you do the right thing and i think it kicks ass not only in the ease of installaition but looks as well.

but i am almost positive you guy's will have something interesting to say about this application.

and that's that's the beauty of it.
Attachments
control room window.JPG
control room window.JPG (48.14 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
looking from live room to control room.JPG
looking from live room to control room.JPG (45.99 KiB) Viewed 5021 times
jeff gossard

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sun May 04, 2008 6:39 am

Nice looking window!
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Eric.Desart » Sun May 04, 2008 10:17 am

Jeff,

jeff gossard wrote:but i am almost positive you guy's will have something interesting to say about this application.
and that's that's the beauty of it.

It's a nice solution from a practical point of view.
However if you want to keep edge absorption it's less good.
Armaflex is a closed cell material which is almost a perfect waterdamp barrier (for which it is used e.g. thermal isolation of cold ducts).

One could also think of open cell foam, felt or stuff like that.

Eric
divinely-inspired
Eric.Desart

Postby Terry Montlick » Sun May 04, 2008 1:58 pm

This is tangential and certainly in the "future technology" category, but it is an intriguing area of research with potental appliciation to studio windows:

Kang, J. and Brocklesby, M. W. (2004) "Feasibility of applying micro-perforated absorbers in acoustic window systems," Appl. Acoust., 66, 669-689.

Abstract

The paper examines the feasibility of using transparent micro-perforated absorbers (MPA) in a window system to allow noise attenuation whilst at the same time maintaining high levels of comfort ventilation and daylighting. The underlying theory for micro-perforated panels and membranes and the application in silencers is presented. Experiments have been performed between a semi-anechoic and a reverberant chamber using a standard window mock-up, and the effectiveness of MPA has been demonstrated. With a constant air backing, MPA are more effective with a wider ventilation path. With an air flow of up to 2 m/s the performance of the MPA remains unchanged. Current results are based on readily available materials and relatively simple configurations, but the theoretical analysis suggests possibilities for increasing the noise reduction and widening the frequency range by using more strategically designed materials and configurations.

Regards,
Terry
Terry Montlick Labs
Tweeters tweaked. Woofers neutered.
Terry Montlick

Postby jeff gossard » Sun May 04, 2008 3:22 pm

i actually used armaflex. armaflex came out as a copy that cost less than rubbatex. i don't know the "chemical structure" but it sure feels and looks the same.  the neat thing about it is i cut it oversized and it compress very nicely into the slot. i don't think i am going to have any moisture problems at all but i will put some silica in there before i install the last windows. i am also using screws to fasten one window trim on in my double windows so in the future if something does happen i can get to them.

all i know is this stuff is easy to work with, it forms a way tighter seal than me wraping 703 with cloth and i looks great. one side of armaflex and rubbatex is smooth and the other is textured looking like open cell foam. but i am diffently moving on from hear.

yeah those 12" wide oak boards were 60 bucks a piece, ouch. all my windows are going to be 1/2" and 3/4" laminate glass and just the contol room to live window cost amost 2 grand by the time i am done. that's not counting the four other sets of windows i have for the iso booths.

i had a display door made for my machine room and bought 3/4" laminate for that also (i wanted to be able to see my vu meters on my 24 track 2" machine) when i got my glass it measured .8125" which is great i guess.  but the glass guys said when you order laminate glass it can vary a little either way when they make it. that always makes your trim calculations that much more interesting.
jeff gossard

Postby jeff gossard » Sun May 04, 2008 5:40 pm

here's a couple of pics of the back contol room wall so far. the door skin poly cost me 75 bucks, not a bad do it your self deal. it's full of fiberglass insulation with cloth covered soundboard to close it off on top and bottom. the skyline was a bitch to make but that cost 20 bucks a square for a total of 120 bucks.  each square measures 18" x 18" each. i will be installing 4" 703 bag deals from ready acoustics in the corners, two each side 8' tall each side. then the display machine room door almost 1" thick lam glass. door weighs about 200 lbs. sweet. however that door ruined amost 1000 dollars.

so there you have it so far.
Attachments
diffusers.JPG
diffusers.JPG (27.68 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
door skin poly.JPG
door skin poly.JPG (29.5 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
door skin poly 2.JPG
door skin poly 2.JPG (32.47 KiB) Viewed 4942 times
machine room .8125  lam door.JPG
machine room .8125 lam door.JPG (31.27 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
back control room wall 2.JPG
back control room wall 2.JPG (29.8 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
jeff gossard

Postby Scott R. Foster » Sun May 04, 2008 6:29 pm

2 grand by the time i am done

That window looks like it would cost more... you do pretty work.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby jeff gossard » Sun May 04, 2008 9:28 pm

thanks scott, it always feel good to be appreciated
jeff gossard

Postby Scott R. Foster » Mon May 05, 2008 2:52 pm

The highest form of praise is plagerism... so I stole your poly pic for the treatment FAQ!
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby jeff gossard » Mon May 05, 2008 10:10 pm

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet   :D
jeff gossard

Return to Discussion