Software for 1/3 octave SPL measurement?

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Software for 1/3 octave SPL measurement?

Postby Saap » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:38 am

Hi,

I am interested in doing some sound insulation testing. Could anyone please suggest some software I could use with built in SPL calibration? I want to use an Behringer ECM 8000 microphone, an M-Audio Mobile pre usb soundcard and a laptop.
REW will not do 1/3 octave analysis on anything other than sweeps. I need to use white noise. Its for on site partition Dntw testing. (ISO 140-4) Also, I dont want to use the soundcard output for the signal generation cause the source and receiver have to be in different rooms. Will use an external generator (Android phone).
I found lots of spectrum analysers but dont think those will work for me. Also, I dont have an SPL meter or calibrator for calibration. Was hoping to find software which can calibrate the SPL as well (without a calibrator/meter). Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks,

Saap
Saap

Re: Software for 1/3 octave SPL measurement?

Postby bert stoltenborg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:18 am

If your doing insulation tests you in fact are measuring relative levels, so why bother about calibration?

Anyways, you are not going to find software calibrating itself, you need some absolute value like a calibrator or a SPL-meter or a calibrated sound card like MLSSA with a calibrated microphone.

ARTA, MLSSA, etc can do these measurements in 1/3 ocatves.
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Postby Saap » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:27 am

Thank you Bert. Yes, the absolute levels are not very important. Just wanted to be accurate with measurements. Sorry, it was a silly question. How could anything calibrate itself eh? I got ARTA, its cool. TrueRTA looks pretty good too. Guess I'll just have to get me a calibrator. Thanks again.
Best,
Saap
Saap

Postby DanDan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:07 pm

You could achieve Calibration by borrowing an SLM.
The MiniDSP UMIK-1 comes calibrated for both Frequency Response and absolute sensitivity. REW will recognise it and thus be Level Calibrated.
DD
DanDan

Return to Discussion