diffusion by jeff hedback

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

diffusion by jeff hedback

Postby Bob » Wed May 08, 2013 6:25 pm

http://gikacoustics.com/diffusion-by-jeff-hedback/

"A poly is a victim of peer pressure. By this, they will sound different depending on what the neighboring surfaces are. By itself, next to hard surfaces it can be unpleasant creating detectable pings. But, when properly located in clusters, in relation to boundaries and/or with absorption, they truly sound totally neutral in a most cool manner. "
Bob

Re: diffusion by jeff hedback

Postby Scott R. Foster » Wed May 08, 2013 6:42 pm

Sigh... more diffuser gibiltyflibbet. If your diffuser "pings" back at you - get a bigger one. They sell em at the hardware store in 32 sf sheets for about $20.

:bang
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Yannick » Wed May 08, 2013 7:30 pm

My polys never said ping to me, more something along the lines of ooooh, or aaaaah :mrgreen:

Or the sound of a million people saying whoops.
:8
Yannick

Postby bert stoltenborg » Thu May 09, 2013 10:19 am

Diffusors are so 1990....
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Postby Scott R. Foster » Thu May 09, 2013 7:02 pm

SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby J.F.Oros » Sun May 12, 2013 8:53 am

... studiOTipper ...
J.F.Oros

Postby jhbrandt » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:45 am

Bob wrote:http://gikacoustics.com/diffusion-by-jeff-hedback/

"A poly is a victim of peer pressure. By this, they will sound different depending on what the neighboring surfaces are. By itself, next to hard surfaces it can be unpleasant creating detectable pings. But, when properly located in clusters, in relation to boundaries and/or with absorption, they truly sound totally neutral in a most cool manner. "

+1

A very good article by Jeff!
We use them all the time in our builds. In Control rooms I'll usually create polys from slats, but in tracking spaces I sometimes use arrays with different radii - usually prime numbers.

Cheers,
John
John H. Brandt
Recording Studio, Performance Hall & Architectural Acoustics Consultants - http://jhbrandt.net
"Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"
jhbrandt

Postby Scott R. Foster » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:01 pm

Prime numbers are magic!
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby jcgriggs23 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:54 pm

[quote="Scott R. Foster"]Prime numbers are magic![/quote]
Just ask any cicada (and this is one of the years to do it)

Cheerz,
John
jcgriggs23

Postby bert stoltenborg » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:19 am

From the Geek-website:

The QRD (Quadratic Residue Diffusor) type diffusor is a mathematically non-repeating design featuring varying sized “wells” where the well width determines the high-frequency performance and the well depth determines the low-frequency performance. The purpose of the QRD is: (1) evenly disperse the sound energy back into the space (retaining similar amount of energy) and (2) diffuse the phase content of the reflection so it does not smear (comb filter) with the oncoming energy (varying depth = varying time= varying phase response).

Would be hilarious if it weren't so tragic...
If you view life with the knowledge that there are no problems, only opportunities, you are a marketing manager.......this is my personal philosophy
bert stoltenborg

Postby Yannick » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:32 am

There must be a word for this 8O
Surely, it must be a style figure ?

When I mix or master, this trick works wonders. If something is smeared and needs to sound more clear, I just make it more smeared in such a warm way it actually sounds more transparant :mrgreen:
Now I understand why everybody still uses 100K+ of outboard gear to master a record :twisted:

Interestingly, they did fabricate polys, but only during a short period. Would that be:
a. because they do not work (acoustically)
b. because they do not work (business wise)
Yannick

Postby Scott R. Foster » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:18 am

Well the problem was they used prime numbers... but the wrong units!

You see centimeters are a base 10 system and and so radii measured in cm aren't as magical as ones measured in a base 12 system like inches - which matches the base 12 musical scale... which is magic.

This is why I always use cubits... cause they are ancient mystical units and nobody knows how big they are and therefore I can say they have magical properties even when the utterly nonsensical concept of a "prime" radius is not convenient.

:roll:
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Return to Discussion