Paul's STUDIO BUILD DIARY

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Postby Paul Woodlock » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:06 pm

Friday 5th March 2004 4:04pm

Morning all.

Woke up with a smile on my face, and realised that if I'm gonna succesfully finish the place, I must STOP SMILING!!! GRMPPPFFFFFFF!!!

BAH! HUMBUG!!!

Right on with the foundation mortaring. Only got a couple of hours today, before we go out for BEER!!!!

Paul Grumpy
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Bob » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:36 pm

I found out today that TLC stands for Tools, Labour and Cash.
Regards
Bob Golds
"The only thing we regret in life is the love we failed to give."
"Be a rapturist -- the backward of a terrorist. Commit random acts of senseless kindness, whenever possible" - Jake Stonebender
Bob

Postby Paul Woodlock » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:51 pm

Bob wrote:I found out today that TLC stands for Tools, Labour and Cash.

Not always :) Sometimes it stands for Tediously Long Creation - hehe

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:58 pm

Sunday 7th March 2004 23:52pm

Greetings Fellow Studio Builders, Potential Studio Builders, Non Studio Builders and Voals!

Finished the Mortaring tonight!!!! Quite a theraputic pastime once you get into the swing of it. I was able to collect quite a few thoughts together while trowling the mortar.

I of course tried to make the mortaring as smooth and percect as possible. Even though there's no point from a practical point of view.

I would have finished this all by friday, but we had a couple of social engagements this weekend ( i.e getting pissed :) ), so I manged acouple of hours before going out.

next job: Clearing up, smoothing out the sand and laying the Damp proof Membrane.

have fun

Cya later

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:41 pm

Tuesday 9th March 2004 8:36pm

Laying the DPM

Greetings :)

I've just started laying the DPM. This looks like it will also be a fiddly job. The Dpm comes as a roll, but is folded and tightly creased. SO when you lay it out, you have these creases forming ridges. Making it difficult to lay flat. I realise the concrete will weigh all this down in the end, but it doesn't help the laying process.

Also becuase of the shape of the 'mould', it's gonna require quite a few overlapped and taped up Joints. There's a special tape for DPM. It's a bit like Packing tape, but a thicker.

I'll be back later to let you know how I get on. Piccies being taken of course

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:53 pm

Tuesday March 9th 2004 11:47pm

Greetings

Well I got half of it done tongiht.

It's not as bad as I thought i'd would be. Weighing the DPM sheet down with bricks helped a lot. I had to make quite a few cuts and overlaps around the corners. Which I then made good by overlapping a 2nd layer and taping down.

When joining DPM, make sure you overlap by at least 300mm ( 1' ), and tape down.

As well as laying mortar over the foundations to prevent them ripping the DPM, I also laid a double layer of a strongish but flexible material called 'Plantex' over the foundations to protect the DPM from the vertical rough edge. This I held in place with bricks until the DPM was laid over it.

Plantex is a material used to lay under flower beds and other landscaping. I think it's to stop weeds and stuff growing through it. It works great for DPM protection too :)

I shall certainly finish this off tomorrow.

bye for now!

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby DP » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:40 pm

Hey Paul,
Do yourself a favor, and stop going out for beers - bring them in ! :) Good Luck
DP

Postby Paul Woodlock » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:05 pm

DP wrote:Hey Paul,
Do yourself a favor, and stop going out for beers - bring them in ! :) Good Luck

hehe :)

Beer and Studio Building don't really mix :) ( especially using Tools with sharp pointy teeth like disc cutters )

However if you mean 'bring them in!' as in the forum, the virtual beers are on me :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:52 pm

Weds 10th March 2004 9:40pm

Greetings

Work stopped half way through today. :( I ran out of DPM tape.

I did however temporarily lay some insulation ( 70mm Celotex Tuff-R ) over the DPM I've done, and ran a string line diagonally across the room. I'm between 3 and 5mm
within the specified measurement, so I'm pretty pleased with that.

Tomorrow's 1st job is to go get some DPM tape. Actually it isn't! Tomorrows first job is to cosume copious amounts of coffee to get over the bleary eyed period after waking up! Then I'll go get the tape!!

cya laters

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:17 pm

Thurs 11th March 2004 5:12pm

Greetings

NO work today. My eye hurts!! GRMMPPPFFF!!!

Yesterday the DPM sheet clipped my eye as I was positioning it in place. A mild collision and I thought nothing of it. But late last might my eye started to ache. "oh no!" I thought. I had a bad eye injury ( small piece of concrete ) a couple of months ago. Same thing, it was fine the day it happened, and excruciating pain the next day. SO I went to bed HOPING that it wouldn't be so bad the next day. Well it isn't so bad ( I wouldn't ever want a repeat of last time! - hospital casulaty and all that ), but it damn well aches badly.

I learnt my lesson with the eye protection the last time, but you wouldn't expect to have to wear goggles to aly a sheet of plastic on the floor.

I can't even drive, so the new roll of DPM tape will have to wait until tomorrow.

Not a happy day today. I don't even feel like doing any music!!

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:17 pm

Thurs 11th March 2004 8:12pm

3 hours later....

I'm bloody frustrated now!!!!

My eye still aches, but a little better. but I feel an extremely strong need to do something at least.

Sod it! After food, I'm gonna go in the garage and start building up the perimeter brick mould edges for the concrete pour. Ths involves a bed of mortar on top of the DPM/foundation tops, and one course of bricks ( On their side ) . The sring line will ensure the little brick wall is level, so I can screed of the concrete to the correct level while pouring. More on this in later issues :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:23 am

Friday 12th March 2004 01:07am

GReetings

Well I feel psychologically better for having done about 3 houras work on the studio, but my eye is fucking killing me at the moment ( sensitive to light, so the computer monitors are turned WAAAAAY DOWN!!!

I hope it's better tomorrow. Big social event! We're going to the Mayors Ball. ( My best friend Jonathan's dad is the currently the Mayor of Peterborough, so we got an invite! Cool. I've gotta wear a suit!! ( Paul Woodloc and Suits don't mix, but never mind I won't worry after acouple of beers, and at least the hired suit's insured )

The job went pretty well tonight considering......

I managed to lay quite a few bricks. We're basically talking a slippery plastic sheet draped fairly loosly over a step. Then one course of bricks ( On their side ) to be laid on the very edge of that step. The old faithful string line ensured I got the heigth correct. ( working within a couple of millimetres tolerance here. - take your time! take your time! )

After laying a couple of bricks, I soon discovered I needed the mortar mix to be as dry as possible, and from then on things moved along a lot quicker.

As soon as Dan sorts out a file upload situation here, I'll upload some pics. They really do paint a thousand words in this case. In the meantime if anyone's a little unsure of what I'm talking about gimme a shout!!!

Basically I'm building a small Parapet. The "balcony" area will eventually be filled with a concrete mix. But Ican't do that until the 'parapet' has hardened otherwise the weight will push the bricks over. It pays to think ahead. btw - My dictionary says a Parapet is also called "Breastwork". I feel better knowing I've been doing some 'breastwork' tonight - hee hee

This brick laying business is good practise anyway. Once the floor's done I'll be building two 7 foot high brick walls behind the exsting garage doors. I'm a little less scared of that now :) So why not get a bricklayer in?? BOLLOCKS TO THAT!! This is a DIY job!!

:)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:54 pm

Saturday 13th March 2004 6:49pm

Morning all! ( well it's still morning for me :) )

Last nights Social dignitary event was pretty cool really. The band were a 3 piece 60's tribute band called "The Stereos". Sounded very authentic, and the drummer and bass player were ld frinds I hadn't seen for qutie a few years, so that was a nice catch up.

I didnt' really have much of a hangover today ( PHEW! ), but I have managed to drag myself to Wickes ( UK Home Depot type place ) and buy 30 engineering bricks, and a few bags of mortar sand, and ballast for concrete.

I've just been in the garage to inspect Thursday's work, and thankfully the bricks have not sklipped off the slippery DPM. MY eye is a lot better too ( PHEW again ! )

So after some grub, I'm back in the garage to try and finish off this particular job.

I've a music session all day sunday and monday, so, after today, studio building work will resume on tuesday. Hope everyone is having a cool weekend.

byeeeeeeeee :) :) :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Paul's diary

Postby myles » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:13 pm

Paul-

You are doing amazing things up there (out there? still not too clear on geography in the UK) in Peterborough. Many congratulations. I will make it to see the slab. Looking forward to seeing pics. If you're ever down London way, give a shout.

Best-

Myles
myles

Re: Paul's diary

Postby Paul Woodlock » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:35 am

myles wrote:Paul-

You are doing amazing things up there (out there? still not too clear on geography in the UK) in Peterborough. Many congratulations. I will make it to see the slab. Looking forward to seeing pics. If you're ever down London way, give a shout.

Best-

Myles

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

Select GB Place, and then type Peterborough. It's about 1hour up the A1, if you know where the speed cameras are :)

I will be coming to Londond again in the not too distant future.

If ya up this way pop in. but bring Eric, as I want to give him a big sloppy kiss ( no tongues - hehe ) for helping me so much :) :) :)
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:46 am

Sunday 14th March 2004 00:40am

Evening All! ( For those old UK folks like me who remember Dixon of Dock Green on TV will know the voice to go along with "Evening All"

Had a great evenings work today. I finsihed off as much brick parapet building as I could ( still haven't replenished the DPM tape ). Some of the work was a little tricky tongiht. A few bricks kept slipping off, so I had to stack some loose bricks up to hold them in place until the mortar has set.

I also mixed a couple of barrowloads of concrete, and filled in the gap behind the 'parapet' where the mortar had set from the other day. This concrete was smoothed off to the level of the bricks. I'm glad I did this, as it proved the design is gonna work. So those two barrowloads of concrete were a distinct psycological boost.

Got a few hours of music to do now, and i feel good about it. Cool day! hope it was for you too :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:31 am

Monday 15th March 2004 01:30am

Greetings!

My music session didn't happen today. For reasons I'm still not sure. Anyway, after waiting long enough, I thought sod it!,and went and did some more parapet building.

Again had a good days work. Mixing concrete in a wheelbarrow with a spade is quite loud at 1am, so I have to be a little bit careful for neghbour relations at the moment. Once the Soundproofing is done, I expect I'll be writing this diary at 6am :) :)

Right I'm now gonna relax with a coffee, and do a little forum browsing and thought collecting.

byeeeeee

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:47 pm

Weds 17th March 2004 3:44pm

Greetings Folks

Well I finished laying the DPM and making the brick parapet yesterday. The mortar should have cured enough to fill the remeinder of the little balcony with concrete today. Once that's done I need to clean the place up and inspect for any holes in the DPM. I know of two places where I've inadvertantly piecered it. So out with the puncture repair outfit! :)

Back later! :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:46 pm

Weds 17th March 2004 10:46pm

Greetings!

PHEW! FINISHED!!

That's the trouble with using an existing building. All these little time consuming modifications to make. But like I say finished. Cool!

Next job is to clean up, and lay the floor insulation.

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Paul Woodlock » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:54 pm

Monday 22nd March 2004 4:45

Greetings

I'm half way through laying the floor insulation. This is Celotex Tuff-R 70mm thick and foil backed on both sides. Nothing acoustical about this stuff. It's purely for thermal insulation of the floor, and sits underneath the lower concrete supporting slab. ( Oversite )

YOu can cut it with a sharp knife, but I opted out of that method as the resulting noise was worse than fingernails down a blackboard. SO I used a saw instead. But what a mess. definitely a job for a face mask as insulation dust and granules are everywhere. it looks like it's been peeing yellow snow inthe garage at the moment.

But overall a simple job and the last job before the concrete laying.

I should have finished this yesterday, but yesterday I felt completely exhausted, and even net surfing was a struggle.

byeeeeee :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion