200mm Concrete slab db transmission loss

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:36 am

(Humor follows)

Eric wrote: "Your whole studio has a rather special approach. "

I would have said that Paul's studio follows a relatively traditional approach.

For a rather special approach may I direct your attention to
http://www.soundsuckers.com/current.htm
where about 60% of the way down it says
Customer: Curt McNamee - Elk Creek, Washington
Problem: Wife works night shift, and can not sleep during the day due to household (children) noises, road noises, and so forth.
Solution: Custom designed a 4' wide x 7' long x 4' tall sleep chamber to help block out noises and daylight. This chamber has a custom designed ventilation system located at the foot of the chamber.
Last edited by Bob on Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Bob Golds
"The only thing we regret in life is the love we failed to give."
"Be a rapturist -- the backward of a terrorist. Commit random acts of senseless kindness, whenever possible" - Jake Stonebender
Bob

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:05 am

Rod:
Fastening of the door Jamb would be through the use of wooden shims to align the jambs - and then fastening with a 4" screw through the door jamb into the wall framing.
I find myself quite embarassed that I never suspected that you would use the normal way of attaching the jambs using shims, when it is to you from whom I expect traditional tried and true advice and common sense.

When you write
door closure pulls the door
I looked closely at the picture you provided and I think you mean you put a one of those automatic hydrolic/spring door closes at the top of the door (like this http://www.cornerhardware.com/item_2217 ... loser.html ).

When you wrote in the 'door seal calcs' thread that
Actually they close pretty easy - the magnetic strip helps with that - it does (however) take a wee bit more pressure to open them (once again due to the mag strip). Operation is not like normal doors.
I can only assume you weren't talking specifically about this door. Although what you describe is true even for this door, it's a bit wee bit understated in both directions. Closing it takes no effort on behalf of the human, and opening it would require overcoming both the magnetic seal as well as the automatic door closer.

Am I correct in my interpretation that the handle on that door is just a pull knob, and not a normal residential door handle with a mechanism?
Regards
Bob Golds
"Be a rapturist -- the backward of a terrorist. Commit random acts of senseless kindness, whenever possible" - Jake Stonebender
Bob

Postby Rod Gervais » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:34 am

When you write
door closure pulls the door
I looked closely at the picture you provided and I think you mean you put a one of those automatic hydrolic/spring door closes at the top of the door (like this http://www.cornerhardware.com/item_2217 ... loser.html ).

Yup........... another way of doing this - although it requires a wee bit more work - is to use a cam lift hinge set - the door then raises as it opens - and closes due to the cam-hinge.

The "downsize" to this is that the door does not slow as it nears the closed position (which you can set with a "door closer") - so with a door this heavy - lost fingers could be an issue.

When you wrote in the 'door seal calcs' thread that: /quote]

Actually they close pretty easy - the magnetic strip helps with that - it does (however) take a wee bit more pressure to open them (once again due to the mag strip). Operation is not like normal doors.[/quote

]I can only assume you weren't talking specifically about this door. Although what you describe is true even for this door, it's a bit wee bit understated in both directions. Closing it takes no effort on behalf of the human, and opening it would require overcoming both the magnetic seal as well as the automatic door closer.

Absolutely, the closing of the door is a piece of cake........ opening it takes maybe 15 to 20 pounds of force...... a small person can do it easily if they know what to expect - but i have seen even large strong men taken aback when they try them for the 1st time. No one expects a door that isn't latched to push open that hard.

Am I correct in my interpretation that the handle on that door is just a pull knob, and not a normal residential door handle with a mechanism?

What you see there is a commercial pull handle - with a push plate on the opposite side.

Rod
Rod Gervais

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:53 am

Thank you Rod and Eric.

I have some ideas and rules on how to build a doorway now. I'll see if I can put them all together somewhere in the next week.

I came across this door in my travels
http://locks.nfesc.navy.mil/Lockmaster_door_in_box.htm
Although I don't think it's suitable or cost effective for me/us, it is the first door that I've seen that ships complete with door, jambs, latches, and a door closer. It's got an unpublished acoustic and an unknown balistic rating. Perhaps it's top secret.
Regards
Bob Golds
Bob

Postby Paul Woodlock » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:31 am

Bob wrote:....Perhaps it's top secret.

now you've done it!

..if you ever see two men in black suits..

:) :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby Rod Gervais » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:27 pm

Bob wrote: I came across this door in my travels
http://locks.nfesc.navy.mil/Lockmaster_door_in_box.htm
Although I don't think it's suitable or cost effective for me/us, it is the first door that I've seen that ships complete with door, jambs, latches, and a door closer. It's got an unpublished acoustic and an unknown balistic rating. Perhaps it's top secret.

Bob,

Take a look at these:

http://www.kriegerproducts.com/acoustic ... cal_bm.php

Rod
Rod Gervais

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:20 pm

Rod: Wow. Great link. Even has frequency TL data for various types of their seals.
Regards
Bob Golds
Bob

Previous

Return to Discussion