My site

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

My site

Postby Eric.Desart » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:47 pm

Just as info, not a request for advice now.

In 6 weeks (about) my site is hacked 5 times.

The first time it cost me close to 8 hours to restore it.
The next 3 times I was better prepared and could restore it in half an hour.
This time it's more disastrous.
I really needs lots of time and energy, which I don't have right now, to find a better permanent solution

I'm telling this because I get lots of Emails, since people are confronted with all kinds of stange messages and whatever.
It's simple:
NOTHING WORKS NOW, and I can't help it since I can't access my own site.
So I'm even not able to put an explenation on my site, which should cost only half an hour.

How long this will take I have no idea, and I have other priorities too.

On an average there were 50 downloads a day. Lots of them write me.
I can't respond to them all.  I hope you forgive me.
One should be able to shoot (matter of speech) the morron doing this, thereby more hurting other people than me.
divinely-inspired
Eric.Desart

Postby MarkEdmonds » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:52 pm

Good luck with the job of fixing it Eric. I've always thought your website was an exemplar of clean efficient delivery with a very nicely designed no-holds-barred academic approach and style. A refreshing experience after all the bloated rubbish that passes for websites these days.

I don't know if it is your own server or hosted by an ISP but if the latter and they are doing their job correctly, they should have a backup available which they might be able to restore from. At least that would get you back in business before correcting whatever enabled the hack in the first place. I'd certainly see what your ISP says before restoring it the hard way.

Mark
MarkEdmonds

Postby Scott R. Foster » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:45 pm

I think a new server host is in order... can't hurt at this point... if nothing else it removes a variable.
SRF
Scott R. Foster

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:46 pm

Eric:
There's probably lots of web hosts available in the world, but two that have crossed my way lately are:
http://www.ipowerweb.com/index2.html  ($8/month for 2GB of data).
www.dayanahost.com ($100/year for 200MB, slow during american daylight hours, fast during american night)
Bob

Postby Brian Dayton » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:02 pm

oh, man Eric, this is a horrible thing

sympathies, and many
Content posted by me is copyright 2004, 2005, 2006  Brian Ravnaas, but may be reproduced without permission for any non-commercial purpose so long as the intent is preserved.  NRC Canada data is copyright them and used with permission, www.nrc.ca
Brian Dayton

Postby max1274 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:06 pm

I recommend www.hosting-unlimited.net - they run an excellent service for a great price.  I host two different sites with them and they are great with support.
max1274

Postby Eric.Desart » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:53 pm

For reasons I can't discuss, I don't want a hosting company subject to US Laws or comparable lawsuit cultures.

:roll:   And NO I don't want a political debate here.

But many thanks to ALL for the interest and support.
divinely-inspired
Eric.Desart

Postby dtotty_ka » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:24 pm

Hey Eric i am new to the site, but i highly recommend these peeps: http://www.pxdhost.co.uk/ fantastic value for money and excellent after sales support whenever you need it. Also its very secure.

Hope that helps Cheers.

P.S they are UK based (Reading in berks)
dtotty_ka

Return to Discussion