The Easiest Bass Trap EVER????

Post and discuss acoustic topics, Studio design, construction, and soundproofing here

Postby casey » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:04 pm

No need to mess with fabric. I took 2" 703 panels, put another 2" layer of OC "SelectSound" on top of that, and placed it in frames. The SelectSound is the usual 3 pcf rigif fiberglass but with a black "skin" covering it. Looks great and easy!

http://www.owenscorning.com/around/soun ... ACKAC1.PDF
Attachments
basstrap01.jpg
basstrap01.jpg (89.5 KiB) Viewed 40619 times
casey

Postby Eric.Desart » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:04 pm

divinely-inspired
Eric.Desart

Postby Paul Woodlock » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:33 pm

I'm a bit confused bythe "EQing the Room" bit...

I thought this was generally accepted to not be a good solution for flattening the room response.

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Strange Being

Postby blackline » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:34 pm

few things here...
first, Paul, Bob said its common to eq the big speakers in a control room a bit, and its not such a bad idea if you do it to your nearfields with a GOOD EQ and when its done RIGHT. I'm pretty psyched to hear the results when this is done.

Casey, what did you frame those bad boys with????

Eric thanks for the link.

General... If I make my wall panels with 2 inch 705 rather then 703, won't I be absorbing more lower frequencies due to the increased density of the 705?

Next, WHO in the country has 705 2 inch in STOCK? The place by me said 10 days and thats a lot of down time. Casey where did you get the black Owens stuff?
Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com
blackline

Postby casey » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:51 pm

Steve:

I framed my absorbers with 4" MDF boards, then trimmed the front with some thin pieces that keep the panels from falling out. I attached them to the walls with drywall anchors across all corners.

I got the black stuff at a place called CWCI here in Los Angeles.

It looks pretty spectacular when you get about 15 or so of them up. Lots of work though. It's amazing that whenever someone walks into my studio, no matter what kind of cool music equipments/instruments/gadgets I have lying around, their first reaction is to look at the ceiling and say "wow! what are those?"
casey

Postby Eric.Desart » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:04 pm

blackline wrote:General... If I make my wall panels with 2 inch 705 rather then 703, won't I be absorbing more lower frequencies due to the increased density of the 705?

Have a look here:

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

Forget whatever you heard: Just compare the numbers
divinely-inspired
Eric.Desart

Postby bert stoltenborg » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:18 pm

Subtle EQ-ing is done a lot in control rooms, as far as I know, especially in the lows.
Most owners then hide the EQ from experimental intensions :D .

My experience, FWIW:

EQ-ing near fields should be done with care; I once tried to EQ the comb filter from a speaker that reflected on a mixing console; it was a disaster. Measured good, sounded bad. Even with a digital filter from BSS you cannot expect miracles in such cases.

It's the frequency and time discussion:
you can EQ frequency (try to EQ the peaks out of the spectrum, don't try to boost gaps in the spectrum, this can even make an amplifier sound bad).
you can't EQ time problems, and reflections (f.e. comb filtering) are time problems.

Bert
bert stoltenborg

Postby blackline » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:27 pm

I've heard good things about how Bob Alach eqs his rooms. In my case, its going to be all sub 125Hz stuff and very subtle. When my room was built in 1925 the builder surely didn't think that some idiot would try to build a recording studio in it so the eq is there to help a bit.
Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com
blackline

Postby Howler » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:19 pm

Simplest bas trap I've ever built, and the most effective, is the ceiling trap. Put up 2x6 (or 2x8 or 2x10, depending on how low you want to go, mine is 16" I-joists) false joists running down the length of the room, loosly fill with mineral wool, and cover with cloth. You'll end up with broad band trapping wayyyyy low. I have absolutely NO bass buildup.
Stephen Foster
Stephen Foster & Howler
http://www.howler.biz
Howler

Postby Howler » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:28 pm

Simplest bas trap I've ever built, and the most effective, is the ceiling trap. Put up 2x6 (or 2x8 or 2x10, depending on how low you want to go, mine is 16" I-joists) false joists running down the length of the room, loosly fill with mineral wool, and cover with cloth. You'll end up with broad band trapping wayyyyy low. I have absolutely NO bass buildup.
Stephen Foster
Stephen Foster & Howler
http://www.howler.biz
Howler

Postby Ido » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:54 pm

casey wrote:No need to mess with fabric. I took 2" 703 panels, put another 2" layer of OC "SelectSound" on top of that, and placed it in frames. The SelectSound is the usual 3 pcf rigif fiberglass but with a black "skin" covering it. Looks great and easy!

http://www.owenscorning.com/around/soun ... ACKAC1.PDF

Hey Casey,
this black skin, is it normal fabric like, or is it some sort of glass fiber cloth?
I ask cause we have here similar thing, but the cloth is made from glass fiber, so it's slightly irritating to the touch, and you can't really leave it exposed if it will be touched. but, it prevents fibre fallout.
if your's is real fabric, this is a major good thing.
I didn't find an answer from the company link.
thanks,
Ido
Ido

Postby casey » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:15 pm

Ido,

No the skin isn't a fabric, just a denser fiberglass layer. But it's very smooth and not irritating at all, no problem if you brush up against it. The main concern is puncturing it, but I suppose that would happen with thin fabric as well.
casey

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:40 pm

casey:

FYI, I added a link back to this thread from
http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm
about 90% of the way down under "Cover Material"
Regards
Bob Golds
"The only thing we regret in life is the love we failed to give."
"Be a rapturist -- the backward of a terrorist. Commit random acts of senseless kindness, whenever possible" - Jake Stonebender
Bob

Re: The Easiest Bass Trap EVER????

Postby Dan Nelson » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:32 am

blackline wrote: Bob said I should buy some boxes of 705 (I think 10 come per box) and cover the actual cardboard boxes with fabric and stack them in the corners! Will this work as a bass trap? INSIDE THE CARDBOARD? Would it be better if I took the 10 layers of 705 and framed them in a metal cage and THEN put some fabric in them? Thanks
Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com

I would either follow his exact instuctions or discuss any these other ideas with him, before changing the plan. Most professoinals do tend to get upset if change the design without talking to them first. I am guessing that he has a good idea of what the trap he told you build will do. He has a huge advantage over us he has been in the room and listened to it. On the forum the we can only tell things to look for and try.

Dan
Last edited by Dan Nelson on Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Nelson

Postby DP » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:51 pm

The "black stuff" is called Owens Corning Black Acoustic Board. You should be able to find it on thier site ( I did a couple years ago ). I was able to order it through a local building supplier - it's not cheap! But I don't remember the exact cost - I think the 2" was around $4.00/sq ft. 1" was a little cheaper. FWIW, the "smooth" fabric side is sort of like "tyvec" or similar fabric that is used on the bottoms of upolstered furniture some times - I wouldn't consider it a "finished" surface, and I would still cover it .
DP

Postby casey » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:36 pm

I got my 2" OC SelectSound black fiberglass for $1.34/sq ft in Los Angeles.
A place called "Southwestern Insulation" even sold it by the sheet.

I sent my roommate over to pick up a bundle of the black stuff and 3 boxes of
703. The bundle manged to stay on the trailer, but the 3 boxes flew off. A
CHP officer shut down the entire freeway and pushed the boxes to the side of the road.

If anyone needs some extra insulation, you might drive down highway 60, just
east of the 605.

FYI
casey

Postby blackline » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:20 am

Casey, did you find a place where they had strips of 4inch MDF?
blackline

Postby DP » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:09 pm

"I got my 2" OC SelectSound black fiberglass for $1.34/sq ft in Los Angeles. "

Wow.......I wish I could've gotten that price :bang I did get some product called "Select Sound Black acoustic Blanket" that I think was closer to that price. Is this the product you speak of ?
DP

Postby casey » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:16 pm

DP:

No I didn't get the "acoustic blanket", I got the rigid fiberglass.
Isn't the acoustic blanket made from wool?

Blackline: I got the MDF 1x4 at Home Depot. They have 1x4, 1x6, and
I think even 1x8 depending on how thick you want to make your
absorbers. I used metal L-brackets to make the frames, but you could just use screws. Once the fiberglass panels are in, it's very sturdy.
casey

Postby DP » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:00 pm

Casey,
No, acoustic blanket isn't "wool" . It's fiberglass ( same as the black board) it just isn't compressed tightly like the board ( and no binder I would suspect ).
I just checked out the OC site, and this is what it says: " SelectSound® Black Acoustic Blanket is an all-black wool product with a black mat surface composed of inorganic glass fibers. "
So I guess in a way we're both right :) . I suppose that by "wool" they mean soft and flexible, sort of like a puptentacle...

Regards
DP

Next

Return to Discussion